Can I get a higher res screen for new macbook pro?

Reaction score
I've bought a new macbook pro 13" with the higher machine spec but without retina display. However on first use I noticed the graphics are fuzzy and when I checked the screen res it is lower than my pc which is 2 years old.

I am quite astounded as the macbook pro is loved by designers and as a design tool and I had anticpated the graphics would be at least as good as on my old pc if not better.

Can anyone help with any suggestions? I didn't want to pay for a retina display, but I would be willing to pay more for a higher res screen - is it too late now I have opened the box?

Thanks for your help :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find it hard to believe that your new MacBook Pro 13" screen graphics are fuzzy. The only way they would be fuzzy is if you're operating the machine at less than its native resolution. Open System Preferences, Displays, and tell us what the reported resolution is.

The native resolution of the 13" MBP is 1280 x 800 and should provide a clear crisp picture even with complex graphics.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply - 'best for built-in display' and if I choose scaled instead it is 1280 x 800 which is the highest res available.

Yes I also find it hard to believe, seeing is believing and compared to my pc side by side the macbook pro text is not nearly as crisp as on the pc which is 1366 x 768. It's my error I didn't think to check the res on the macbook pro before buying as my perception was they are designed for high quality graphics.

I want to know can I do anything about it? Might apple change it for a higher res screen?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've bought a new macbook pro 13" with the higher machine spec but without retina display. However on first use I noticed the graphics are fuzzy and when I checked the screen res it is lower than my pc which is 2 years old.

Native resolution for a non-retina 13" MacBook Pro is 1280x800. If you're on a display setting other than this...that's the problem.

Regarding the availability of a higher resolution display. To the best of my knowledge...no. If a higher resolution display was available...it would have been an upgrade option at time of purchase (and if the Apple Store is checked...it's not an upgrade option).

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Text is not going to be as crisp on a Mac as on a Windows machine no matter what resolution you have the screen set at. There is a different rendering philosophy being used.

Macs are designed for print and seeing on screen what will actually be printed on the paper.
Windows uses a method to hammer all fonts into clearly defined pixels which gives the impression of fonts being sharper than they really are.

Have a read through these:
Font rendering philosophies of Windows & Mac OS X » DamienG
Font smoothing, anti-aliasing, and sub-pixel rendering - Joel on Software
A Closer Look At Font Rendering | Smashing Magazine

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help and thanks bobtomay these articles are spot on :). Very interesting and informative reading.. I will adjust to the difference and the colours are really good on the screen.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It took me a full year to get use to text on a Mac. I used all the tricks I could find on the web to make text appear sharper on my Mac. Even had a couple of screen shots I posted on the forum where members mentioned my incorrect settings. :)

As long as I am on a computer monitor, then I don't even notice it any longer. And I go from using Windows 7+hrs a day at the office to Macs at home.

While I do have a Mac connected to my TV and my Windows box is relegated to being a media server off in another room, I still really dislike text from a Mac and much prefer Windows when reading text on a low resolution big screen. And while 1080p looks great with video, it sucks for text on my TVs at 42" and 58". I was always wondering if my eyes were getting worse and I needed a new pair of glasses, then remembered, no, that's my Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.