Wifi Issues in Windows 7 on rMBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
Ok so I have the 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2.7 GHz with the 802.11 wireless N card. I dual booted Windows 7 Professional OEM copy on it yesterday and I've noticed some pretty slow speeds on my speed test. Right now my family is paying for a 50mb/s download speed and 3mb/s upload speed.

On the speed test (provided through my ISP's site and the only thing they'll take seriously if I call in about speed issues), the upload speed comes back fine but the download speed is cut down to a speed between 10 and 20mb/s. Lowest speed readout has been 2mb/s this morning.

The mac side shows a perfect speed test and I tried tethering my Android phone on the windows side to share its Wifi card and it comes back at the phone's max speed ability on the speed test.

Is there anything I can do to fix the speed on the windows side as I will be using it for my main school system while the mac side is there for audio and video work? Maybe a driver or something? I have the latest version of Boot Camp installed.

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be receiving the same download and upload speeds while in OS X and Windows 7. The only suggestions I have is to make sure you have everything setup correctly in Windows 7 and that you're using the latest Windows driver for your airport card. Use the control panel Boot Camp update utility to make sure you have the latest version of Boot Camp installed for Windows. Boot Camp updates may contain updated drivers.

OP
khcrazy10
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
Ok I tried reinstalling the drivers and it improved the speed... it wasn't until today that I got full network speed on the windows side though. It's possible it could have been my ISP since there's people in my house who have noticed a speed drop on SOME devices but not others but I'm not entirely sure. I'm curious as to why the mac side wouldn't be phased if that's the case.

Anyhow... it's magically working now after having shut it off and turned it back on a few times due to normal shutdown and startup. So yeah.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.