Surplus Meter Mac

Reaction score
As far as monitoring bandwidth usage goes it seems like there are very few options for mac. On my old mac book I used surplus meter, after buying a mac book pro I have been unable to get this application to work. The application opens and I have selected airport as my connection type. I receive my internet via time capsule. But the surplus meter just doesn't meter hence rendering it useless. Could someone suggest anyways as to, which I could fix this problem or any other pieces of software, which would do the same thing, your help would be much appreciated.

thank you in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just downloaded SurplusMeter and am testing it now with a large download. I can confirm that it definitely should be working (I'm on OS 10.8.4). What version of SurplusMeter do you have? The most recent version is 2.0.3.

OP
F
Reaction score
I just downloaded SurplusMeter and am testing it now with a large download. I can confirm that it definitely should be working (I'm on OS 10.8.4). What version of SurplusMeter do you have? The most recent version is 2.0.3.

I am running surplus meter version 2.0.3 on a mac book pro mid 2012 with retina display running mac osx 10.8.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am running surplus meter version 2.0.3 on a mac book pro mid 2012 with retina display running mac osx 10.8.4

Ok. You said you are connected to a Time Capsule and selected "Airport" as your connection type. I assume you are in fact connected wirelessly and not by an ethernet cable? If so, then delete the preference files to make it "reset". A simple way to do this is use AppCleaner.

If that doesn't work, then I'm increasingly unsure what else to do. Try turning your firewall off and reducing your Gatekeeper settings to allow all, but in my brief experiments, those had no effect.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok. You said you are connected to a Time Capsule and selected "Airport" as your connection type. I assume you are in fact connected wirelessly and not by an ethernet cable? If so, then delete the preference files to make it "reset". A simple way to do this is use AppCleaner.

If that doesn't work, then I'm increasingly unsure what else to do. Try turning your firewall off and reducing your Gatekeeper settings to allow all, but in my brief experiments, those had no effect.

I have tried deleting it many times with app trap before, this time I used app cleaner but still I have had no luck. I have tried turning my firewall off but that changed nothing and I have already allowed surplus meter to allow connections, gate keeper changed nothing either.

I am running sophos anti virus and it does come in handy for scanning those usbs where you have no idea whats on them just recently a friend of mine placed their work usb in my computer sophos picked up a windows virus. I deleted it for him and then he told the company he works for and it seems there whole main frame was infected. Anyways back on topic I do not believe that it would be causing a clash but im still not sure what is.

Is it possible some other old application possibly not deleted in full could be causing a clash?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try removing Sophos AV and then see if Surplus Meter starts to work. Mac AV software is not as sophisticated as Windows versions are in that they sometime interfere with programs and cause slow downs. If Sophos has an uninstaller use it rather than dragging it to the trash.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok after going through lots of processes such as, permissions repair, using onyx's cleaning systems, cleaning out junk files, restarting my computer and then opening surplus meter and quitting the agent in activity monitor while it was running. It finally started working... Thanks for the help guys. I'm not really sure what did it in the end but at least it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.