Battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro - 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
Picked up a copy of iStat Menu's, and it got me to thinking about my battery. Says it is currently at 91% health. For having the MacBook for right at 2 months, there is some concern at the loss of charge. I remembered I had similar issues with my Power Book as well, ended up having to replace the battery a year or so after getting it.

Should I be leaving it plugged in while using it, or am I better off discharging it (or nearly so) before plugging it in? Does it make a difference either way?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Should I be leaving it plugged in while using it, or am I better off discharging it (or nearly so) before plugging it in? Does it make a difference either way?

Rechargeable laptop batteries (like most rechargeable batteries) have a fixed number of charge/discharge cycles before they go kaput. So the more you use your laptop on battery power (and then obviously need to recharge it)...the faster the battery will be "used up".

Now I'm not saying that you should use your laptop plugged in 100% of the time...but use common sense. If you're sitting near an electrical outlet...plug in the computer. If you are not near an electrical outlet...then use your laptop on battery power.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro - 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
Generally I am near outlets, so I have been leaving it plugged in, I was just wondering if that would cause issues vs letting it discharge.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Generally I am near outlets, so I have been leaving it plugged in, I was just wondering if that would cause issues vs letting it discharge.

Read the link "Battery" in my signature.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.