CDs and DVDs ejected at random

Reaction score
Hi there,

My iMac sometimes spits out blank CDs and always spits out firmware DVDs. I just tested a movie DVD and it played it. I was told to just get a new optical drive.

I noticed today that when I click on my hard drive there is a category on the right called "Places". It includes things like "Desktop" and "Documents" but it had two items that weren't really what I would call "Places". One was an item called "Picture 1" which I located and trashed, the other was a folder called "Untitled DVD". There is disk icon beside it and the same icon on the folder. All searches fail to locate it and when I try to drag it to the trash it returns.

My hunch is that it is responsible for my iMac spitting out random DVDs and CDs.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think that folder has anything to do with the problem, but to get rid of it, hold down your command key and drag it to the desktop and drop it. It should go poof and disappear.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for that. It went poof like you said but like you said also the problem is still there. I can watch a DVD but blank CDs get ejected no matter what brand. Some music CDs get ejected and some don't.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy a can of compressed air and blow a few short blasts into your disk drive. That may clear up some of the dust accumulation in it and perhaps it'll work better. Other than that, there's not much you can do except replace the drive.

C

chas_m

It sounds like the DVD reader (which is not the same laser as reads CDs and homeburns) is working and the other one isn't. Try chscag's suggestion first, but yeah I think an external USB or FW optical drive is in your near future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.