06' MBP RAM upgrade, flashing sleep light

Reaction score
Below are the specs, I have upgraded RAM in a few MacBook Pro's this one is giving me ****, I put the sticks in and it turns on but has a black screen, and the sleep light just flashes.

To give some additional information, when I put the old sticks back in (512MB) it did the same thing, but would only turn on after I switched the sticks, which is extremely odd to me.

It is currently running snow leopard.

ANY info to help my resolve this would be great.

This is the specs of the RAM I tried installing. (also attached a picture).

DDR2-667MHz, PC2-5300, 200-pin LAPTOP Memory
Speed: DDR2 667MHz PC2-5300

The computer specs.

Processor Memory
Processor speed: - 1.83 GHz
Processor Type: - Intel Core Duo (Yonah).
Number of Cores: - 2
Bus Speed: - 667 MHz
Cache: - 2 MB L2 cache
64-bit Support: - No
Turbo Boost: - No
Installed RAM: - 512 MB (1x512)
Max. Amount: - 2.0 GB
Amount of Slots: - 2
RAM Speed: - 667 MHz
RAM Type: - PC2-5300, DDR2, SO-DIMM

Storage and Media Graphics
Hard Drive: - 80 GB, 5400 rpm.
Hard Drive Brand: - Unknown.
Drive Bus: - Serial-ATA
Optical Drive: - This unit has an 4x SuperDrive built in.
Optical Bus: - Ultra-ATA/100
Other Media: - -
Display Size: - 15.4-inch
Graphics Card: - ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
Card Memory: - 128 MB
Max. Resolution: - 1440 x 900
BLU / Coating: - TFT, Matte.

SO_200X2.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going to guess that you have a defective or dirty Ram slot which is why it's giving you so much trouble. Buy a can of compressed air and blow out the slots, reinsert the new memory to see what happens. If that doesn't work, then the slot itself may be loose (insert pins worn out). If that's the case, time to buy a new machine since the entire logic board would have to be changed out.

I'm assuming that you bought the correct memory for your machine. According to Mactracker your machine is vintage and can only hold 2 GB. That means the modules you purchased should be 1 GB each.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To give some additional information, when I put the old sticks back in (512MB) it did the same thing, but would only turn on after I switched the sticks, which is extremely odd to me.

Having "odd" problems after installing new ram does not surprise me (especially if the ram comes from a less known vendor). But if some or all of the problems persist after reinstalling the original ram (which I'm assuming the computer was workig fine with)...this is where it's a little unusual.

Here's what I would do:

- reinstall the old ram
- reset the PRAM
- do an SMC reset

About NVRAM and PRAM
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks to both of you

especially Nick, every problem I ever had has been resolved on here thanks to you.....cheers

B_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be aware Macs are very fussy about memory and use low density modules whereas the majority of PC's use high density. OWC and Crucial recommended memory suppliers on the forum regularly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.