Pages App Saving Woes

Reaction score
First off, I love my MAC and would never convert back to my PC, but even after a few years of use I'm still confused when it comes to saving files. I really miss the "Save As" feature that I was used to using with my PC.

My current dilemma however is with saving a file in Pages.

I opened a Word document (my resume) and edited it and want to save it as a Word document and the only option that comes up under "File" is "Save a Version".

I tried the help option and it claims that other options are available, but it lies. Here's a screenshot:

ScreenShot2013-07-16at125818PM.png

As you can see from the screenshot Step 1 isn't there.

C

chas_m

If you're on 10.8, the "Save As" function can be accessed by holding down the option key while accessing the file menu. But BryGuy's answer is correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If you're on 10.8, the "Save As" function can be accessed by holding down the option key while accessing the file menu. But BryGuy's answer is correct.

Excellent info! I miss "Save as" as well. Holding the option key to do something so common is not a step forward in my humble opinion. Regardless, thanks for the info. I've been moving stuff to different folders and making copies on my desktop to edit stuff with new or unique names.

OP
B
Reaction score

Thanks for that information. Unfortunately I'm 10.7.5

I love my MAC, and there's SO MUCH it does better than my PC, but occasionally they do something silly as they did with the "Save As" feature.

C

chas_m

I could bore you with an essay about why the versioning and autosave system is WAY better, but I'll spare you. I work with similar documents that undergo revision quite a lot, and from my perspective Lion's system is WAAAAAAAY better than relying on me to remember to Save As. I don't even want to tell you how many times I've overwritten something I didn't intend to (luckily, Time Machine before this autosave/versioning system came along).

It's more about perspective, I think. I do agree that they "sprang" it on folks in a ham-fisted way, but I'm here to tell you: versioning and autosave are FANTASTIC and the biggest flaw IMO is that it isn't mandatory in every app.

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't even want to tell you how many times I've overwritten something I didn't intend to

You must of intended to overwrite the file when you used the "Save As" feature, because YOU chose the file to overwrite.

C

chas_m

No no ... what would happen is that I'd open a template (last week's/month's) file, start making changes and would press Save because you should be saving every few minutes (this is a habit developed long before Time Machine came along). Then you realise what you did, swear a lot, and (nowadays) open TM and retrieve the original. This still happens to me in non-iWork type programs from time to time.

With Pages, I don't even have to think about it. It's bliss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.