Mail help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
Hello all,

Lately I have been having a problem with my mail not letting my MBP shut down. The mail app is closed but it still says something like "can't shut down because of mail".

Running mountain lion 10.8.4..

Any suggestions as to why it is doing this?

Thanks,
Flu

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This has been an ongoing problem with Mail.

Only suggestion I can make is to "quit" mail, not just close it, prior to shutting down.
And half the time it seems, I need to force quit it.

And I only shut down/restart my machines maybe once every 2-3 months.

OP
fluhartz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This has been an ongoing problem with Mail.

Only suggestion I can make is to "quit" mail, not just close it, prior to shutting down.
And half the time it seems, I need to force quit it.

And I only shut down/restart my machines maybe once every 2-3 months.

ok thanks. I do quit mail, and it still does this.

The only reason I shut mine down is I drive a lot. I know I don't need to, but I guess it's just a habit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open your Mail preferences, click on the General Tab. Take a look at the option which says "Check for new messages". Make sure you set that to "Manually" otherwise the Mail app is going to be constantly (depends on the interval you set) trying to access your ISP to check and download mail. That alone will cause the Mail app not to shut down.

I have mine set to manually and have never had a problem with Mail not shutting down.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
In addition to the excellent advice already offered:

sometimes I've found Mail will not shut down if you have recently attached a file, folder or maybe photos from iPhoto. In that circumstance, which I acknowledge may be different from your own, Mail says it cannot shutdown because the attached "whatever" is still in use. The solution is to close down iPhoto or whatever the source attachment came from. It doesn't happen with me that often, but is a real bind when it does.

I offer this in low expectation that it solves your problem, but worth checking out.

Ian

OP
fluhartz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies.
I did have a couple missed FaceTime calls open. I cleared those. Hopefully that does the trick.
Just shut down with no issues....we'll see...

Thanks again...
Flu

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.