Moving old apps to a new iTunes account.

Reaction score
My wife gave my son her old iPod touch, which he used under her account. Every time my son downloads an app, it appears on my wife's iPhone. Is there a way to transfer my son's apps to a new account so my wife can get rid of the apps that are taking up space on her phone? Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As far as I know there is no way of transferring purchased from one Apple ID to another..it's annoying..the only way around this is to re-purchase the apps in the new Apple ID..

If you were just changing the name or something, Apple might be able to help with that..but short of that, you're out of luck..

Your only recourse is to turn off the iCloud sync'ing and manually manage the apps..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's the ticket, turn off app syncing.

On each iPhone head to Settings - iTunes & App Store - turn off any auto downloads not desired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thats the biggest load of crap that i think about iTunes, and so does Bruce Willis. He has been onto Apple about him owning everything he has bought and his extensive iTunes Account, which he wants to leave to his daughters when he dies, but Apples ruling at the moment says it is not going to happen. Can Bruce Willis leave his iTunes music to his kids? - CNN.com

Lets just hope over time Apple will fall in line with what people want and in the future make this possible. Im pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to be able to link 1 or more iTunes account together with then options within the primary account to allow/disallow all sorts of things that we buy.

We can only hope can't we ??

C

chas_m

Bruce Willis is being a bit silly, IMO. All he has to do is reveal his account password to them in his will and his kids can continue to use, update, buy and download apps as long as Apple is still in business.

I switch between my account and my wife's all the time. I agree that it would be swell if Apple had a verifiable system of transferring apps to another/new account, but this slight limitation is not IMO a big issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for taking e time to answer my question. It's much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.