Imac can't "see" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 2.5 ghz I5 8g OS X Mavericks : iMac 27" Late 2012
If this isn't in the correct forum, I apologize in advance.

I have a an iMac27(dec 2012) at work. It is connected to a network via cable. MY Macbook Pro (summer 2012) sits next to my iMac and is connected via wifi. I can't see the other as a "shared" pc on either Mac.

I opened the finder and don't see the other. I then went to Network Utility and tried to ping each IP from the other and it fails. I have googled this and have looked at many articles on the web and believe my settings on both computers may be correct, yet I can't get them to connect.

Any ideas ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are the wi-fi network and the cabled network connected? Often commercial premises have a guest or open wireless network that is isolated from the wired network.

Cable them both or connect them both wirelessly as a test

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The wireless network is an open network. When both devises are on the wireless network, I can ping them from each other. They don't appear in the "shared" area though.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The wireless network is an open network. When both devises are on the wireless network, I can ping them from each other. They don't appear in the "shared" area though.

Correction: I can ping the Macbook from the iMac, but not the other way. Both on the wireless network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Assuming you have file sharing enabled on both and have shared out a folder appropriately.....

A lot will depend on which ports are open and the firewall rules on the network. You're probably best contacting the network admin. When you're on someone else's network, someone else's rules. No sense second guessing.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't realize that there were two wireless networks. So with that said, with both Macs on the same network, they can see each other.

The dilemma remains: Something is preventing me from seeing the iMac and Macbook on different networks. My boss also has two Macs (one hard wired and one on free wifi) they can both "see" each other. When I asked her how she did it, she said her Mac wizard did it for her and she has no idea how he did it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming you have file sharing enabled on both and have shared out a folder appropriately.....

A lot will depend on which ports are open and the firewall rules on the network. You're probably best contacting the network admin. When you're on someone else's network, someone else's rules. No sense second guessing.

I guess that may be the only answer, although the IT guy says my IP and her IP are on the unrestricted block, and the setting are they same. I just wanted to know from one of you tech savvy guys that I am not crazy and I should be able to screen share my MAc's from where ever i am.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Without getting hands on with the network it's going to be educated guesswork but I'd start by duplicating your bosses network settings

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Without getting hands on with the network it's going to be educated guesswork but I'd start by duplicating your bosses network settings

Thanks. I will take it up once again with the IT guy. Is there ever a time when you can't screen share your Macs if the networks allow it ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, should be fine so long as you know the username and password

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.