Mountain lion dvd options?

Reaction score
what is best way to get Mountain lion on disk please? My research shows you can purchase it for $19.99 via download from the Apple store but I want it on a disk but I am not seieng an option to purchase the disk from the Apple store? Also, I have an imac and a macbook with snow leopard and wish to upgrade both to ML, would I need to purchase 2 downloads or disks for both units or can I use just one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You need only purchase it once for all the Macs in your household.

There are no retail discs. Instead you download it (then PRIOR to installing) use a tool like liondiskmaker to create a bootable DVD or USB. NB: you can do this 'manually' but this tool makes it very easy.

In the case of the two machines on the same network you could also just copy the file over. But it's good to have an OS backup disc regardless.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, let me ask this hardware question here please if ok with you guys? I've never worked with a Mac desktop like a G5 for example, for any mac desktop computer, can I reload the OSX using my windows pc's peripherals [monitor, keyboard and mouse] connected to the mac desktop? Or would I need to get specific monitor, kb and mouse for it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Yes, so long as those devices are supported. You won't go to far wrong with mice/keyboards/screens.

Reaction score
Keyboard and mouse, if USB go for it. Monitor, what kind of video out do you have?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, so long as those devices are supported.

Not sure what this means, can you clarify any further please? For example, does this mean that some Mac desktops may only work with Apple kb, monitor and mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what this means, can you clarify any further please? For example, does this mean that some Mac desktops may only work with Apple kb, monitor and mouse?

It simply means not all hardware will work with all other hardware regardless of platform but as posted above you're unlikely to have issues with USB keyboards, USB mice and screens (providing you have a suitable output on the G5 to match the input on your screen as Cradom notes). But it's impossible to say 100%.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok, let me ask this hardware question here please if ok with you guys? I've never worked with a Mac desktop like a G5 for example, for any mac desktop computer, can I reload the OSX using my windows pc's peripherals [monitor, keyboard and mouse] connected to the mac desktop? Or would I need to get specific monitor, kb and mouse for it?

Just plug the peripherals into your Macintosh computer. If they work (are compatible)...then they work. If they don't...then they don't.

Basically it's the rare situation that a non-Apple peripheral (keyboard, mouse, or monitor) that won't work.

Just do it.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.