iPhone 5 download speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06ghz/12gb/500gb. Air 1.4ghz/2gb/128ssd. iPad 4 32gb. iPhone 5 16gb. AppleTV 2.
Hi

Is there a restriction on what the iPhone can handle in terms of wifi download speed? Can't find any web reference that addresses this issue, so far anyway. I'm topping out at around 40mb. I realize this is adequate but wondered why it chokes.

C

chas_m

To the best of my knowledge there is no DL limit on an iPhone, but there is *most definitely* a limit to the speed provided by your carrier, not to mention a concept called "throttling." Cellular bandwidth is much more limited that broadband (hence the name) and so people don't get the top possible speed for very long on cellular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It supports 2.4 and 5 Ghz N wifi so I doubt it's the phone.

How are you testing the speed?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06ghz/12gb/500gb. Air 1.4ghz/2gb/128ssd. iPad 4 32gb. iPhone 5 16gb. AppleTV 2.
Thank you both for the replies.

I'm using the Ookla speedtest.net app. I get get between 30mb & 40mb download on my iPhone and around 40mb on my iPad 3. I have a n rated router and get up to about 76mb at best on my Macs.

Although there are three in our household we rarely use much bandwidth, just browsing and social networking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I which my broadband was as fast at that to run the same test!!

Trying to think of a way of measuring network transfer speeds . . . .

C

chas_m

Your results seem entirely normal to me. Remember that the processor and subsytems in your iPhone are WAY less powerful than the processor and subsystems on your Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.