scrolling

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro, on which I use the finger pad. How do I scale down the movement of the cursor when scrolling? At present it's virtually impossible to bring an e-mail to the position I want or to read a book downloaded as a .pdf.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Scrolling speed can be found in:

System Preferences - Accessibility - Mouse & Trackpad - Trackpad Options

OP
M
Reaction score
Dear Bobtomay,

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, though I've changes the settings to the slowest possible, it's made no difference. Has the system not acknowledged the changed settings?

Paul

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The trackpad is sensitive to the speed at which you move your fingers across it to scroll.
Want to scroll slow, then move your fingers slow while scrolling.
You have full control of the scrolling speed based on how fast you move your fingers on the trackpad.
Try placing your fingers on the top edge of the trackpad and then take 60 seconds to move them to the bottom edge.
It doesn't get much slower than that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for that. If I connected a mouse, would I have finer control?

Paul Stephenson

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thank you for that. If I connected a mouse, would I have finer control?

Short answer = Yes. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to trackpads, simply put, I can't stand them. Part of the reason is what you experienced. A mouse provides much better control for scrolling and moving about the desktop, however, the trackpad does provide a wealth of gestures for those who like to use them. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Dear Bobtomay,

I've just tried a friend's mouse with a wheel and it works a treat.
Thank you very much.

Paul

Reaction score
This is sort of related to the original poster's comment.

Since an upgrade on 18/8/13 my mouse has started doing strange things.

1 - With the mouse stationary on the mat the arrow goes wandering off across the screen.

2 - When I scroll using the wheel on the mouse the page zooms up the screen and I can't scan the text for what I am looking for.

I've tried looking in System preferences to see if I can adjust this but nothing seems to help.
Any ideas oh clever folk of MacForum?

(Apologies for hijacking this thread)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.