Reaction score
Equipment:

Mac Mini
2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Samsung LED HDTV

Yamaha RX V673 AV Receiver

I am trying to connect the mac mini to the TV via the AV receiver. Note that AV receiver is already connected to the TV and works a treat. I watch cable TV through that.

As a test, I first connected the mac mini directly to the receiver using plain HDMI cable with no problems. I can see my mac mini on my LED TV.

As the receiver is not going to be near the computer, I then purchased a pair of HDMI extenders over two cat5e/6 (link here) cables to give me a bigger distance between the computer and the receiver. I connect them and get nothing.

I have re-done the RJ45 connections twice so far but no luck.
I have also used a different pair of HDMI extenders which I has been using for something else (which I know definitely work), but again nothing.
I have tried different cat5e/6 cable with moulded RJ45 connectors and again nothing.

So I am wondering... could it be that the HDMI extenders that use two ethernet cables are perhaps not suitable for connecting a computer to a TV, and I need HDMI extender over single ethernet cable (something called a balun).

I am not a techie and have been attempting all this following tips and advise from friends etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You really need to find a forum with folks that deal with this sort of thing on a day to day basis.
While I am really not qualified in this, would think the first questions will be:

How long are the HDMI cables and what AWG at each end of the run?
Are they 'Standard' or 'High Speed' cables?
'Standard' by it's specification does not support 1080p, only 1080i and below.
So, even if it works directly connected - getting it to work over a long run???
Have you tried using multiple resolutions at the source?

You are using 2 ethernet cables right?

Both of them are exactly the same length?

How long is the run?

Using CAT 5e or CAT 6?

Using UTP or STP cable?

If the link is correct, those extenders only support HDMI vs 1.2a.
Personally, I wouldn't even be trying a long run with anything less than 1.3 and preferably 1.4.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for posting
Believe me I have looked for forums dealing with this, but no luck. Do you know of any that you could suggest to me?

Some responses to your questions:
According to Apple, Mac Mini supports all HDMI vs (from 1.1 to 1.4) so I guess the extenders should work if I understand correctly
I am using two cables and have tried both Cat5e and Cat6. The cables are not identical in length but I have use the exact same cables with the exact same extenders for another connection (AV receiver to TV) and they worked fine
The run is approximately 6 meters
I don't know about UTP or STP, but like I said, I used the same cables for the AV receiver to TV connection, via the same extenders and it worked fine

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would think 6 meters will work.

Would think CAT 5e would work at that distance, but don't really know. Both cables should be the same length - if they are not the same length, the signal could be out of sync and cause no signal or degraded signal.

What I am saying, is that the extenders are rated at vs 1.2a, so it doesn't matter what your Mac is rated for. HDMI vs 1.2 technically does not support 1080p. Just because they work from one device, does not mean they will work on another device (dependent on the signal strength of the device). Hence, have you tried resolutions other than 1080p output from the computer, e.g. 720p, etc.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Why cant you just put it near to the TV? A lot of trouble could be saved by putting the PC near enough to the TV not to require all the cable-hacking. I have mine sitting in the cabinet with the rest of the audio gear.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Off-hand, don't know of a forum specifically for this, but would check out the user reviews for this type of extender at monoprice and you may find some good assistance at the AVS forums - probably the best AV forum out there.

C

chas_m

My usual suggestion: forget all that crap and buy an Apple TV (or Roku or Google TV, you get the idea). No wires, audio and video, computer can be anywhere in the house, distance not an issue. If the AV receiver is AirPlay compatible even better, but the set-top box should have digital audio out for the receiver if not.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's early and I might be missing something but wouldn't longer cables work without using the extender? In other words don't bother with Cat5 just use longer hdmi. I've seen some at much longer distances.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At 6 meters, a 'High Speed' HDMI cable should do the trick.
'Standard Speed' cable - maybe / maybe not.

For that long a run, I'd probably save myself some headaches and opt for monoprice's cables that have incorporated RedMere tech into them - they'll run you a whole $1.20-$1.30/LF.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't notice whether the cables I saw were those or something else. I took a cursory look because I thought I remembered seeing cables that length. Once again Monoprice comes through.

@OP I've been known to cook up some weird equipment arrangements before but my idea about long cable runs is as follows: Whenever possible have as few switches in cable/line type.as possible. It's one less issue to troubleshoot when things go wrong. In this case one longer HDMI cable might be better than what you are trying.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the only catch is if you're running cabling in wall in existing structures - snaking an already attached HDMI end can be a hassle vs running some regular cable that you can attach the ends after it's been run. I think this is the problem where using the extenders and Cat 6 cable came from.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hadn't thought of that but you're right. Snaking cable in that situation would be a royal pain. I have a situation here where I have kludged together a wireless solution because the router is in one room and my Internet enabled Samsung DVD player is in another room.

Since I would have to get someone else to run wire through the ceiling I opted to use a wireless bridge. The Samsung approved wireless adapter cost almost as much as the bridge.

Reaction score
Think it has to be Cat6 high speed for HD. You might try Coaxial extenders as well or fiber.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.