Apple's iBooks Debacle

Reaction score
The message below was deleted from the Apple discussions group, and dismissed as a "rant". Yea, it's a rant which describes a deficiency in iBooks!

I cannot believe I received the response below from Apple regarding either a bug or oversight in iBooks. I found that if I open a PDF in iBooks on my iPhone 4s, it never syncs back to iTunes. Apple confirmed this behavior. After spending $19 and two weeks of going back and forth, I received the response below from Apple, which is totally unacceptable. Essentially they are saying that syncing PDF's opened in iBooks back to iTunes worked with previous versions of iOS, and now that it does not, they are going to update the article. Incredible!

I also find it astonishing to me that Apple, getting into the ebook business, still does not have an ebook reader for their own Macs! You can purchase ebooks in iBooks on your iPhone or iPad, but then you can't read them on your Mac? Whoever is responsible for this oversight at Apple should be fired! Even Amazon has a kindle mobile app and also a kindle app for the Mac! Regardless of what seems to be monumental stupidity by Apple, I was still looking forward to iBooks on my Macs. But now that I've found that PDF files downloaded to iBooks on my iPhone will not sync back to iTunes, I just may stick with kindle!

UNBELIEVABLE EMAIL EXCHANGE WITH APPLE ----------------------------

Apple's response is completely unacceptable. So you are saying that syncing PDF's opened in iBooks back to iTunes worked with previous versions of iOS, and now that it does not, they are going to update the article? Since you did not resolve my issue which is certainly a bug or an oversight by Apple, I would like a refund of my $19. "When you use iBooks to open a PDF, iBooks will automatically save a copy of the PDF to your iBooks PDF shelf. These PDFs will also sync back to your iTunes Book library the next time you sync your device with iTunes."

iBooks: Viewing, syncing, saving, and printing PDFs on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

On Jul 13, 2013, at 1:23 PM, "XXXXXXXXXXXX"@apple.com> wrote: Hello Bernard the information i received is that that syncing is no longer happening with the updated iOS version on the iPhones and that the article we were looking at will be updated , it is possible that that is something that could change on a future softwear update . if you want to talk about it please call Sincerely, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Apple

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) will include an app to read eBooks. In the meantime you can use the free Amazon Kindle app for the Mac to read eBooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.