Installing 10.8 on a 2006 MacPro

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently running a 2006 Mac Pro, but in a very specific configuration. I believe it's a base model machine, so it has two 2.66 GHz Dual-Core processors. It has 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. I have upgraded the graphics card to an ATI Radeon HD 5770, which has 1GB of dedicated video RAM. I bought this card through Apple, and although isn't officially supported by Apple to run in this particular machine, it runs just fine. In fact, it runs amazingly!

The storage is where my question comes into play regarding the operating system. I am currently running 10.7.5, which is all this machine will run. But, I have two disks installed in the machine. I have a 2.5" 64GB SSD which is caddied to fit in the 3.5" slot. This has my OS installed on it and all of my applications (for faster boot/launch times). I also have a 1TB HDD which has my user's home folder, and has been partitioned via BootCamp to run Windows 7.

Now, when I first got this machine two years ago, it only had 1GB of RAM. And a prerequisite for 10.7 is at least 2GBs of RAM. I have a 2008 MacBook (the only MacBooks that came in the aluminum unibody) that has 4GB of RAM. So previously, to install 10.7 on my MacPro, I removed the SSD, installed it in my MacBook, and boot from an external drive to install 10.7, at which point I returned the SSD to my MacPro, and it booted the operating system with no problems, despite only having 1GB of RAM at the time. At this particular point, I had not installed any other hard drives in the machine, it was running purely on the 64GB SSD.

Sorry for the verbose lead-up, but here is my ultimate question/point. Now that I have installed the HDD with all my user data on the spinning disk, but am running the OS on the SSD can I repeat this process without any hiccups to run 10.8 on my MacPro? That is to say, can I remove the SSD, put it back inside my MacBook, boot into the Admin account on the SSD, upgrade the OS, then reinstall the SSD back into my MacPro with my own user home folder still pointing to the HDD?

When you upgrade an OS, does it make changes the the user folders that would break the setup I have? Or can I upgrade the OS, then put the SSD back in my MacPro with it reading my home folder on the HDD with no problems?

I hope that made sense. It's a random, but incredibly simple, work around to Apple's restraints on which machines can run newer OS's. I know it will work, I just don't want to screw up my home folder because it wasn't present when the OS was updated for changes to be made to it from 10.7 to 10.8.

Thanks all!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Have a look around other forums about Hackintoshes. You do have to hack a Mac Pro 1.1 to run Mountain Lion as the firmware is 32bit sadly and ML will not install without a hack. Careful though may kill it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.