Copy failed

Reaction score
Can anyone please help?
I was in the process of copying files (in folders) to an external drive and the power was interrupted. Now the folder name exists (but is grey/gray) and says that there is 2.27Gb in the folder but i can't see the contents. How can i fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
can you overwrite the old folder by copying again?

OP
J
Reaction score
can you overwrite the old folder by copying again?
hi louishen, when i try doing this i get this message "The selected items can’t all be put into the same location, because at least one of them named “2001” is busy."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OPen up the terminal program and at the promote type
sudo rm -rf
then a space (dont hit return yet

From the finder drag the greyed out folder into the terminal window so you get something like this

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Media/Greyedoutfolder

hit return - that will delete the errant folder

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I say delete everything (partial copy) that is on the external drive...then try doing the copy again.

I also find if you are trying to copy a large amount of files...that doing it in smaller chunks is better. In other words...don't try copying 20,000 files all at once.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And even suggest erase the external, reformatting and trying again.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. If i do this, are the files that were in the process of being copied (moved, as it was a drag and drop) contained in the grayed out folder. Have these files actually been moved or are they still in their original location.

OP
J
Reaction score
OPen up the terminal program and at the promote type then a space (dont hit return yet

From the finder drag the greyed out folder into the terminal window so you get something like this

hit return - that will delete the errant folder
Thanks for your help. If i do this, are the files that were in the process of being copied (moved, as it was a drag and drop) contained in the grayed out folder. Have these files actually been moved or are they still in their original location.

OP
J
Reaction score
I say delete everything (partial copy) that is on the external drive...then try doing the copy again.

I also find if you are trying to copy a large amount of files...that doing it in smaller chunks is better. In other words...don't try copying 20,000 files all at once.

- Nick
Thank you...i shall definitely move smaller chunks in future :D thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fingers crossed. Possible the external may have been corrupted by the power failure.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

If the original files were on an internal HD...and you wanted them stored on an external HD...then what you were doing was "copying" them from the internal to the external.

When the "copy" process was interrupted (or completed eventually)...the original files on the internal HD would still be there (untouched)...and you would also have brand new copies of the files on the external HD.

So to make a long story short...the files you were transferring to the external HD are untouched on your internal HD.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
If the original files were on an internal HD...and you wanted them stored on an external HD...then what you were doing was "copying" them from the internal to the external.

When the "copy" process was interrupted (or completed eventually)...the original files on the internal HD would still be there (untouched)...and you would also have brand new copies of the files on the external HD.

So to make a long story short...the files you were transferring to the external HD are untouched on your internal HD.

- Nick
Thanks so much Nick, it makes perfect sense. My only issue is that i was moving one folder to another on an external drive...would the results be the same?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.