Fax using macs??

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been wondering if I can use my mac (currently on OS ML) to send and receive faxes..? If it can be done, can someone show me step by step instructions of how to set this up please? Thanks in advance!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's an overview of what's possible at the moment. If you don't have a multi-function printer that supports faxing there are some USB fax modems that should work if the drivers are compatible. The Apple fax modem has been discontinued. Some can still be found but seem not to work reliably with Mountain Lion.

If you only need to send the occasional fax check out some of the services listed at the bottom of that article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There you go Sly even with the Apple USB modem thought it was a dodo under OS X.8 as my ADSL ISP does not even offer a dialup service anymore.

C

chas_m

There are numerous well-rated fax apps in the Mac App Store. All are free (but the faxing costs) and prices seem to average about $2 for a fax of up to five pages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.