Atv 3

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Attention Apple TV gurus: Apparently my status as MOTM does not impress my new Apple TV3. As expected everything hooked up quickly with the only bump being having to enter my network password twice. I am using the current OS X and iTunes. Home sharing is on and set to share my entire library. Here are the issues at the moment:

1. Not all content in the library appears even when in a format the ATV can read. For example, some audiobooks appear in the ATV list while others in the same format do not appear on the ATV. These files work fine in iTunes and appear properly there.

2. Some of the audiobooks which do appear ask for authorization. This seems to be a password issue though since e the same thing happens on the Mac. We are gathering appropriate passwords for those files.

3. One of the playlists in my library consists of internet radio stations. It's kind of a favorites. It appears on the ATV and the right number of links is shown on the total. When you click the playlist to see the individual links the ATV thinks there is nothing there.

Any thoughts?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Haven't used my audiobooks nor internet radio on my ATV, so can't really help.
If they're from Audible, make sure you've got them authorized in iTunes.

Thought I'd give ya a bump though and ask if you've got any good Blues stations in that playlist?

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Hopefully someone has an answer. I also have the media on an Iomega EZ Media and Backup Center (dead link removed) which is supposed to have an iTunes server built in though I have not gotten that working yet. Their directions are less than stellar to say the least.

The playlist of favorites is indeed all Blues at the moment though other things will be added to it. I recreated it recently and I'm still tracking down some of the things that were in it. It currently includes the following:

Aardvark Blues FM which already in iTunes. I added it to this playlist so I could get to it without wading through so much other stuff in iTunes.

Red River Radio
WWOZ New Orleans Public Radio
KXCI Tucson AZ Public Radio
Currently a two hour time difference but when the next time change occurs they will only be one hour behind. That makes things a bit confusing,

I recently re-discovered these after looking the links some time ago. At one point I had several other stations in the list.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I also have the media on an Iomega EZ Media and Backup Center (dead link removed) which is supposed to have an iTunes server built in though I have not gotten that working yet.
Welcome to the club. I've got a WD MyBook Live that has a built in iTunes server...that does not work. I think Apple changed something along the way that broke compatibility.

Is all of your content "checked" in iTunes? I don't know if the ATV can differentiate between unchecked and checked media however.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to the club. I've got a WD MyBook Live that has a built in iTunes server...that does not work. I think Apple changed something along the way that broke compatibility.

Is all of your content "checked" in iTunes? I don't know if the ATV can differentiate between unchecked and checked media however.

I had not thought of unchecked items as a possible cause. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be it. I didn't look at every missing item but checked several of them and they were all checked.

This issue with iTunes media servers not working is a long standing problem though for at least some devices. I bought one about three years ago and it never really worked well. When the drive in it died after just a few months I binned the thing and said good riddance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I really wish it worked but in the mean time, I can simply point XBMC to the drive and use the remote app to manage it.

Take a look here. It looks as if the ATV can be picky about sources and purchases.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Van. I had not seen that post. yesterday was the first day with the ATV so I'm still working out a few things.

DRM may be an issue in some cases. It is a pretty good bet that the email account used for some things is not the same for all of them. It's also the password.authentication issue on some of the audiobooks. That can't be all that is going on though. The Internet radio favorites playlist contains four items at the moment. All four play fine on the Mac. On the ATV none play from that playlist. The one that is already pre-included in iTunes plays fine on the ATV.

The Internet Radio favorites list is a regular playlist. I wonder if creating it as a Smart Playlist would make a difference?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.