Re-assign f keys manually

Reaction score
My mute f10 key broke, so I'd like to assign mute to another key. How do you Re-assign f keys manually? iMac OS 10.6.8; 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Why not have the volume Menu Bar item in the Menu Bar to just click and slide down to Nothing then use it again when you want to use sound again.

>System Preferences>Sound>Sound Affects and check mark 'Show Volume in Menu Bar' ??

OR

PTHVolume 2 will come to your rescue, you can set keyboard shortcuts for any and all volume devices.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your time replying, TattooedMac. Your suggestion is what I have had to resort to with broken key, but moving the mouse up there is not as fast as a single button push, which I'd prefer if anyone knows how to help me reassign f keys. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks for your time replying, TattooedMac. Your suggestion is what I have had to resort to with broken key, but moving the mouse up there is not as fast as a single button push, which I'd prefer if anyone knows how to help me reassign f keys. Thanks again.

Did you not check out the PTHVolume 2 link ?? And i have read in other threads that you can assign or ReMap Keys to suit you as in This thread @FineTuneMac

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks again TattooedMac, your reply is why I love Mac Forum. I think you've given me my answer, and I'm getting onto it now. Both suggestions look like what I need. And no I didn't check PTHVolume2, because I just read your message - dumb me for overlooking it in your first reply, sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again TattooedMac, your reply is why I love Mac Forum.

Too easy mate, its why we are hear, and we all overlook things at some time, but maybe not realising the Red writing was a link it easy to overlook too.

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.