Itunes to LG 840 g phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
How do I transfer what I have in iTunes to a phone? I'm looking for the "mass storage" icon or file (my connected phone). If I could only find that I'd be able to drag an album into it!
I don't know why such a simple act is, once again, so complicated on this iMac.

I looked in launch Pad, Finder, Google, the owner's manual...nothing. I'm ready to brick this computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's how I did it for my phone. Note... I currently have a dumb phone, a Samsung t259 supplied by T-Mobile.

I attached the phone to my iMac via USB and the memory card in the phone appears on my desktop just like a flash drive. I opened Finder and a second Finder window. Display the phone in one window and iTunes music or ringtones in the other. I then dragged and dropped music and ringtones to the proper places on the memory card. Ejected the phone and then went through its setup menu for music and ringtones. Everything works great. The phone's memory card is 1 GB.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's just it, a simple procedure like you experienced, but nothing appears on my desktop with my phone connected via a proper USB data cable (NOT a charging cable). The phone end appears to be OK because it shows as being connected (mass storage device).

One year later with this Apple product and still nothing makes sense or is sinking in. (Sorry for that rant but I've been at this for about 3 hrs. now with no results and I'm getting old fast.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does your phone have a memory card slot? If I yank the memory card from my phone, the phone will mount on the desktop OK, but it will then appear locked. I can't copy anything to it. Most dumb phones are designed that way. It's not the fault of your iMac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it has a 2 g micro card installed.

Is there a My Computer equivalent in an iMac? My mass storage device would be located there...in a Windows machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mount the phone and then open Disk Utility from Applications, Utilities. That might show the phone and the 2 GB micro card.

Not all phones will mount properly or even show the memory card. Some need software to do it. I have a Sony phone (older model) that will only mount in Windows when I load the software that came with it. It mounts on the iMac but does not show the Sony memory card. Same deal with some cameras.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I give up. I'm buying a cheap Windows laptop tomorrow to eliminate this on-going nonsense. It's one problem after another with this thing, never ending.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I figured it out, by some miracle. I set it up to do a file transfer via Bluetooth. At first it wouldn't recognize my device (phone) because the Bluetooth was switched to undiscoverable; you'd think that it would be discoverable by default. I can now also do pic transfers to the iMac. I guess I don't need the data cable, and, like the CD drive, it is considered obsolete by Apple.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Take a look in the Finder side pane at the bottom under "Devices" - the card should be listed there if it was mounted properly. If you want it mounted on your Desktop, make sure "External disks" is checked under "Show these items on the desktop" in the preferences for Finder (General tab).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have those boxes checked off. In Finder, the Devices are listed as (my name)'s iMac and Macintosh HD.
No phone. Nothing relevant revealed in the drop-down menus.

As an experiment, I plugged in a USB memory stick and that's not showing anywhere either (Finder, Desktop).

Reaction score
If I could butt in here, I'm having the same problem with my LG 840G and new MacBook Pro. If I try to connect the phone to computer with the USB data cord and drag an audio file to what appears to be the device, the computer says I can't do that because the device or disk is locked. I tried to set up Bluetooth as dotdotdot has done, but although both devices seem to recognize each other, the phone says something like "connect headsets only" very briefly before I get a "could not connect" message. Any ideas on what else I can try?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got that "connect headset only" meaningless mumbo jumbo too. Ignore it. Go to the Bluetooth squiggly icon on the upper right of the computer screen. Left click, go down to the LG 840 G, then arrow to "send file" and pick Music under Media then iTune song.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I just tried that, and after selecting the music file to transfer, got the message that said "Failed to establish connection to device. Another application is transferring data with the device and it may not accept additional connections."

I have no idea what that means.

Reaction score
Wait a sec. I'm not sure what I just did but managed to transfer one song to the phone. Maybe I can do it again. 9.6 megs, is that about right for a 4 minute song? AAC file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No actually thats a bit high for a 1 minute song. I just loked and anything around the 4:30~5 Minutes is about 9.6meg a 1 minute song is around 2.7meg, you might have moved it 3/4 times ??

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm still not sure what I did, but the Mac "remembered" and I successfully downloaded a bunch of songs to the phone. I don't have a car new enough to have Bluetooth and didn't even know it was a feature on my new MacBook Pro. Very glad I found this forum.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.