Where the VB in the Mac World?

P

piece of apple

Hi, im a young programmer, and i loved designing usefull little apps on my PC. Is there like a "Visual Basic of Mac" out there. Like, an easy little app used to design Macintosh projects?

thanks

ps. got the OS X Tiger installed on a Mac Rev 3 (2001), and loving it!

OP
U

UncSki1218

im as far from a programmer as it gets but im guessing u could try doing some cool stuff with applescript

Reaction score
If you were looking to build OS X (Cocoa) Apps you can download and install Xcode. Xcode is an Interface Builder and IDE. OS X apps are usually programmed in Objective C but can also be coded in C, C++ and Java.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
piece of apple said:
Hi, im a young programmer, and i loved designing usefull little apps on my PC. Is there like a "Visual Basic of Mac" out there. Like, an easy little app used to design Macintosh projects?

thanks

ps. got the OS X Tiger installed on a Mac Rev 3 (2001), and loving it!

I suggest you learn one (or all) of the following:

1) Java.
2) Python.
3) Perl.
4) C++.

The learning curve will probably be steep but well worth the effort and the skills you learn will be far more useful in a professional sense later on.

btw I'm an OLD programmer. :ninja:

Amen-Moses

OP
P

piece of apple

Amen-Moses said:
I suggest you learn one (or all) of the following:

1) Java.
2) Python.
3) Perl.
4) C++.

The learning curve will probably be steep but well worth the effort and the skills you learn will be far more useful in a professional sense later on.

btw I'm an OLD programmer. :ninja:

Amen-Moses

oooh kk i got some learning to do then ... thanks bye :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
piece of apple said:
oooh kk i got some learning to do then ... thanks bye :batman:

Don't take my post negatively, if you want to just make decent apps for a Mac then AppleScript will more than cope but if you want to be platform independent then you need to learn the languages I posted about.

Download Xcode and just play, you'll be amazed at what you can do with the likes of Java and Python and be fully confident that the same programs you write will run on ANY platform.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 900,640,40
Don't take my post negatively, if you want to just make decent apps for a Mac then AppleScript will more than cope but if you want to be platform independent then you need to learn the languages I posted about.

Download Xcode and just play, you'll be amazed at what you can do with the likes of Java and Python and be fully confident that the same programs you write will run on ANY platform.

Amen-Moses

Amen-Moses but I had the impression that RealBasic is doing exactly that, providing a RAD plattform independent programing tool. That you can compile clear written c or c++ is well known but VB is (for me at least) used for quick and dirty adhoc apps. Now that I actually switched I'm looking for something I can use instead of VB. So whats wrong with RB ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amen-Moses but I had the impression that RealBasic is doing exactly that, providing a RAD plattform independent programing tool. That you can compile clear written c or c++ is well known but VB is (for me at least) used for quick and dirty adhoc apps. Now that I actually switched I'm looking for something I can use instead of VB. So whats wrong with RB ?

For quick and dirty RealBasic looks fine but if you want to eventually be a "professional" programmer (as if such a thing really exists, we're really all amateurs having fun ;)) then you will need to stretch a bit.

Of course since I made that post the world has moved on, add Mono and Ruby-on-Rails with a smattering of PHP to that list.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 900,640,40
Now it really makes sense to look at the dates, my posting was a gravedig! /me shall go and see the doctor.
And to the topic are there pros ? Well there is those guys that have fun and there is linetypers :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.