Quick question about the Mail App

Reaction score
I have a quick question about the Mail App that comes already on a Mac.
I have it set to automatically check for mail every 5 minutes, but it's not doing that much anymore. Now, it's not showing new messages until I actually open up the mail app.
Anyways, my question is...
If you actually quit out mail, does that prevent it from auto-checking?
Perhaps that's why I'm not getting notifications?

If you X out of the mail app (with the red circle), but not actually quit it, will you still get notices?

Reaction score
If you quit it, no mail.
If you just use the red button and close the window, it's still running and you get mail.
Just click on Mail to open a window and check your mail.

OP
C
Reaction score
If you quit it, no mail.
If you just use the red button and close the window, it's still running and you get mail.
Just click on Mail to open a window and check your mail.

Alright, thanks.
Is it kinda the same way with iMessage? If you actually quit it, you won't get notifications? But if you just X out with the red circle, you'll still get them?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can verify with every app whether it quits or continues running in the background by looking at the dock.

When you hit the red dot and then check for that app's icon in the dock,
if the icon has disappeared - it is no longer running
if the icon is still there, but has no light underneath it - it is no longer running
if the icon is still there and has a light under it - it is still running in the background

Most apps do continue running when you hit the red button, but some apps do quit - primarily system apps.

Reaction score
Messages can be quit and you will still receive messages. There is a daemon that runs in the background, a system process, which takes care of messages.
If you want you can have it put an icon in the menubar where you can control whether you are online or not and what your status is.

OP
C
Reaction score
You can verify with every app whether it quits or continues running in the background by looking at the dock.

When you hit the red dot and then check for that app's icon in the dock,
if the icon has disappeared - it is no longer running
if the icon is still there, but has no light underneath it - it is no longer running
if the icon is still there and has a light under it - it is still running in the background

Most apps do continue running when you hit the red button, but some apps do quit - primarily system apps.

Woah, I never noticed those little lights before. Thanks for pointing those out! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.