• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Simple.

Don't think about it at all.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thread moved - please read the forum descriptions before posting..

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.11.5; iPad2 (8.1.2-12B440); New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011 (14.5.5)
Thread moved - please read the forum descriptions before posting..

Is there a forum for complaints against being spied on by Computer companies?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

There is a forum to post general topics of discussion that aren't directly related to an Apple product..and that's the Schweb's Lounge, where I moved this post..:p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

You could complain in the forums but if you have a goal of changing that situation you're going to have to complain to the political leaders charged with making those kinds of decisions.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.11.5; iPad2 (8.1.2-12B440); New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011 (14.5.5)
I do not want to complain here, I sked for the opinion of others !
It seems that it leaves the majority cool...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I certainly don't fit in that category. I've heard too many people in interviews recently who don't mind simply because they disagree with certain groups and think those are the only targets. The reality is though that the kind of change you're talking about is not going to come because people complain in Internet forums. It will come because people complain peacefully to the decision makers.

I also think that any complaints are going to have to include reasonable suffusions for collecting legitimate data needed to defend against folks who are legitimate threats wherever they may come from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
An interesting read on how harmless "it's just metadata" is.

Using Metadata to find Paul Revere - Kieran Healy

Personally, I'm not big a Stasi like surveillance. However, most people are more worried about healthcare, gay marriage, the Kardashians and taxes to give it much thought. If you voted Republican or Democrat in the last 13 years, you've more or less supported those who support this. Getting butt-hurt over it doesn't help if it doesn't lead to any real action. Things generally get really ugly before people with power we have given them give it back - see Syria, Egypt, etc... I don't believe the public cares enough to take back responsibility on this, so it likely won't change and I likely won't give it much thought for now. Wake me up when a million American souls surround the capitol and demand answers "or else". Short of that, it's not worth the energy to worry about.

C

chas_m

Let's make something clear first: we are not "the" Apple community. We are "a" community of mostly Apple users. Just a bunch of mostly-great folks.

Your question is much more complex than you probably realised in posting it, and there's not a simple answer to it, as we have to address the balance of security and liberty and these are topics near and dear to Americans' hearts (but not always consistently applied ... lots of cognitive dissonance on these topics to put it mildly).

My general feeling is that most people are uncomfortable with the level of surveillance revealed in the reports, but understand that some level of this sort of stuff is needed to prevent attacks and threats from being carried out. The question is in the amount, the balance, the protection of civil liberties and the safeguards from abuse. Alas, as both the program itself and the authorities overseeing it are secret, there's no way for citizens to even *influence* these factors, which is where a lot of the discomfort comes from. In short it's not a black/white sort of issue.

I do find, as a former US resident who now lives outside the US, that there's a bit of a disconnect with America pushing American-style democracy all over the world while simultaneously undermining the concept with more secrecy and less accountability. These things seem to me to be contrary to the country's founding values.

I would bet that if (not every technique, but generally) the PRISM program had been offered and explained up front, with an honest discussion of the pros and cons, and even put up for a vote, the US public would have approved most of it. The need for the secret courts and secret body of law, in particular, seems fundamentally un-American to me -- particularly now.

I accept that I don't know all the facts on this matter but here's the rub: I can't know all the facts apparently. Given what America means to me (and I think most people), this is a troubling situation.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I do find, as a former US resident who now lives outside the US, that there's a bit of a disconnect with America pushing American-style democracy all over the world while simultaneously undermining the concept with more secrecy and less accountability.
I would say that most governments are structured like this. Our own government for instance balances the same disconnect - it espouses freedom and democracy for all but is tightly regulated and operates within a mandate that focuses on certain things that might be considered undemocratic. After all, I'm not sure Harper is known for openness. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.