New Macbook Questions

Reaction score
CookieMonsterXO, welcome to the Mac world! I too am a recent first-time Mac owner (May 1), and I love my MacBook Pro!

I've installed two OS updates with no problems at all (my Mac shipped with 10.8.2, installed 10.8.3 then .4 when it became available).

One nice thing about Macs is that when a new OS is released, it's quite a bit cheaper than Windows. OSx 10.9 (Maverics) will cost $19.99; in contrast, Windows usually costs at least $99 (OEM version), and quite a bit more for other versions.

Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac installed for me with no problems at all. I use my Mac mostly at home, but I have occasionally used it at work, too, mostly with Excel, for breaking down movie and television show scripts (I work at a movie prop house, so we sometimes get scripts from our clients so we'll know which props and set dressing items they'll need from us), and we use Excel to make our prop lists. I have found that files created in the Mac version are 100% compatible with the Windows version, and can easily be transferred back and forth between Mac and PC.

Two apps I recommend are "Battery Health" and "Memory Clean." Battery Health gives you a lot of good info about your battery, and Memory Clean allows you to clean your RAM, since closed programs tend to leave bits of themselves in RAM even after they're closed - you can free up RAM with this app.

The one thing I'm hot very happy about is that there aren't many games available for Mac outside the Mac App Store. I did find one game that is made for Mac, though, and it runs well on my MBP 15" Retina - Diablo III. There are also some Mac games available through Steam.

Lastly, if you do need to run Windows on your Mac, you can use Boot Camp to install Windows on its own partition, and it works flawlessly! I have a few older games that run on PC only, as well as MIDI control software and synthesizer programming software which only runs on Windows. I first tried one of the free VM (virtual machine) offerings from the App Store, but I ended up having to restore my entire hard drive from a Time Machine backup, so I just recommend Boot Camp now for installing Windows. You can use one of the more reputable VM softwares for running Windows from within OSx, but system resources are shared by both OSes - in contrast, Windows running on its own partition means that all system resources are available.

One more thing.....buy an external hard drive and do regular Time Machine backups, especially for the first couple of months you own your Mac - had I not backed up prior to messing around with VM software, I would've wasted many hours restoring my HD by having to reinstall everything. The Time Machine restore took just minutes, and worked flawlessly. The external HD size should at least equal the size of your internal HD - I have a 250GB SSD in my MBP, so I bought a Seagate 500GB Slim portable drive (USB 3.0), which was only $69.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The one thing I'm hot very happy about is that there aren't many games available for Mac outside the Mac App Store. I did find one game that is made for Mac, though, and it runs well on my MBP 15" Retina - Diablo III. There are also some Mac games available through Steam.

It's been this way since 1984.:( Actually (since Mac's went to the Intel cpu)...things have certainly gotten better!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
It's been this way since 1984.:( Actually (since Mac's went to the Intel cpu)...things have certainly gotten better!:)

- Nick

The other thing I noticed is that with older games, if the package says it's "Mac compatible", it may not be compatible with Intel Macs. I have the old Diablo II game, which came out in 2001 (but my install discs are dated 2004), and it won't install on my MBP. Luckily I have Win7 on its own Boot Camp partition, so I'm still able to play it (yeah, yeah, I know it's a really OLD game, but I still love to play it).

C

chas_m

OSx 10.9 (Maverics) will cost $19.99

We don't know this to be true for a fact at this point, I have to point out.

You're *probably* right but until Apple says, it might be $30 (as Snow Leopard was) or well, anything between $0 and $129. :)

Reaction score
We don't know this to be true for a fact at this point, I have to point out.

You're *probably* right but until Apple says, it might be $30 (as Snow Leopard was) or well, anything between $0 and $129. :)

I know nothing is "true" until Apple actually releases it. I was just going by what I've read on a couple of rumor websites.

C

chas_m

I understand, but when one writes something as fact not everyone is going to understand that there's an invisible asterisk on it that has caveats. Sorry if I'm being pedantic, just trying to avoid any misunderstanding (or disappointment later if Apple switches gears on us).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One nice thing about Macs is that when a new OS is released, it's quite a bit cheaper than Windows. OSx 10.9 (Maverics) will cost $19.99; in contrast, Windows usually costs at least $99 (OEM version), and quite a bit more for other versions.

As stated we can't be sure what Apple will charge for Mavericks. If I had to guess, I would guess they'll charge $29.99 rather than $19.99. I don't see them going back to the old price structure since that included a disk set. However, as pointed out MS charges the same price whether it's for the disk or iso version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.