Windows to Mac newbie- how do MBP releases work?

Reaction score
I'm making the switch from Windows to Mac so am new to the release of a new MBP. I'm waiting for the anticipated refresh of the line before I buy. I have a good idea of what I want to get but I'm assuming there will be enough changes in the line that I'll want to do some continued research before I make a final decision, between announcement and purchase. Are the releases of new MBP's the same as other releases (like iOS's) where there is an initial announcement and then a break before release? I'd like to know if I should be watching very closely in order to avoid a back order or if I'll have time between an announcement and a release to get the news and look into the options.

I know, it's a very newbie question but it's a big purchase for me so I'd like to know what to anticipate and don't want to be in a situation of not getting an order in and facing a back order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am guessing, but if an update occurs in will be in the fall, just before the x,as buying season

OP
L
Reaction score
I know there's no knowledge for the specific date (beyond speculation). I just mainly want to know how the time frame typically works for computers.

i.e. Release announcement -> delay -> actual release or Release announcement ->release right away

That's assuming I have to worry about a back order, which I feel like I've heard of in the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
When Apple announce a revamp its ready to ship and sell, they typically dont announce a new mac until they have already got the inventory ready

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac Buyer's Guide, Know When to Buy. LINK

MacBook Pro:

Recommendation:

Don't Buy - Updates soon

Last Release June 11, 2012

Days Since Update 396 (Average = 267)

As you can see from the above info, new MacBook Pros are overdue.

C

chas_m

There are definitely new MacBook Pros with the Haswell processor in them coming. Problem is we don't know when. I do not think, in this case, we will get any official "advance warning" from the company, they'll just appear on the store at some point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.