Max RAM - OWC vs Apple...Please double check!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi All . . .
I received an email from Larry at OWC. I opened the email to check out new stuff for my mid 2010 Mac Mini (model 4.1). IF I am looking at things correctly, it is now possible for me to upgrade my Mini to a full 16GB of RAM. Currently my Mini is maxed at the Apple stated limit of 8 GB.
So . . . if I desire, is it possible for me to go to 16GB now? I am pretty sure I am looking at this right, I am politely asking if someone will double check this for me before I order the RAM kit. I am currently at the day job and I can check this forum a lot easier than I can call OWC customer service.

And could someone explain how they can double the RAM limits this day and time?...I saw something about "density" of the RAM. Can someone enlighten me as to what that is all about?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've never been able to fully understand the limitation that manufacturers put down, but it is true that Apple seems to state the maximum RAM on most of their Macs is less that what it can actually take.

OWC is a very reputed vendor of RAM for Macs and has done the due diligence to ensure that if they say a particular number is the maximum, they've confirmed that it is..so I have no doubt believing them..

By the same regard, Apple isn't the only vendor that does this. My Dell work laptop has a stated limitation of 8GB per Dell..but I heard that it could take 16GB, so I ordered the compatible memory and put it in and indeed 16GB has been working without any problems..

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thanks Raz0rEdge. I have had several transactions with OWC since switching to Mac and all have been pleasant and to my satisfaction. I wanted to make sure I was looking at things right on their website. Now I'll have to find the money to get the 16GB RAM kit. Once I obtain it and install it and I am sure me and my Mini are OK, I will hold on to the 8GB set (2x4GB sticks) for backup and probably give the factory RAM away just so it gets some use. I don't like to waste stuff and I would rather somebody get some use out of it than to sit in a drawer somewhere.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And could someone explain how they can double the RAM limits this day and time?...I saw something about "density" of the RAM. Can someone enlighten me as to what that is all about?

I do not work for Apple...so I cannot say with 100% certainty why (with some model Mac's)...we find out at a later date that that they can run with higher max. ram than Apple stipulates. But from what I've heard thru the grapevine:

1. It's about stability. Apple wants to provide the best stability possible.
2. The higher density ram was not available when new models were being tested at Apple (pre-release).

For what it's worth. This does not happen with all model computers Apple sells. Sometimes it's found out that some models can handle more ram...and sometimes they can't.

Here's another example. Currently 16gig sticks of ram are not available...but at some point in the future they will be. When they are available...folks will stick them in their older computers (if they physically fit)...and with some models they may run fine...and with other models they won't work.

- Nick

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick . . . I guess they wil have to develope motherboards to handle 16GB sticks first...actually they probably already have them, but they have to save something for the future!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would do the upgrade

I have a 2012 imac with 16 gig installed, and its the first Mac I have used that can load Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 all together without coughing and spluttering

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your input, louishen. I am going to do the upgrade just as soon as I get the funds for the kit. I actually feel lucky because Apple has made it so easy to install RAM...and now I can have 16GB!

I just noticed I have over 200 posts...I feel like I'm part of the family now! If only I could work on my blue dots...........................

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If only I could work on my blue dots...........................

Unless I've been color-blind all this time...those are green dots!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Mine are blue. Been to an optometrist lately Nick?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

Nick: definitely blue.

My understanding is that Apple certifies the amount of RAM that has been thoroughly tested for a particular model at the time of release and then never updates that listing.

So, at some point in the future, when manufacturers can make modules that hold twice as much RAM but still be compatible with the older modules, you get situations like this.

From a reputable vendor like OWC, I wouldn't question their expertise on this and would say that if you want the 16GB kit ... go for it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ditto. I bumped my 2008 MacBook Pro to 8 GB recently based on their recommendation and have not had a bit of trouble since then. I've had to call them once or twice before for information before a purchase. My experience has been that if something may not work they are pretty straightforward about how confident they are in their recommendations. If they tell me something will work it does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.