Having External Hardrive Problems

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I had been using a Free Agent 1.5TB External for my Time Machine.
I want to use something else for Time Machine, and use the Free Agent just as additional memory.

But, I can't seem to figure out how to do this.
I was able to clear the Free Agent of all the backups, wiping it completely clean, nothing on it.
Now, it's now allowing me to add anything to it though.
When I try to drag a file or item into it, it just shows a little circle with a line going through it, and nothing happens.

Do I have to do something to the Free Agent external to allow it to function as just a regular external, or what?
I don't see a lot of options when I click on it.

It says "You Can Read Only"
But under "Privilege" it has Read & Write. and (ME) next to it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Single click on the drive and bring up the info window (Command i). If the drive says it is formatted as NTFS format it using Disk Utility. Make sure to choose HFS+ Extended Journaled as ythe format.

Warning Any data still on the drive will be lost. Make sure you have removed anything you want to keep before formatting

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for replying.
I'm not sure what it's formatted as right now, this is what I'm seeing when I pull that up.

2qld7ip.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OK This might solve your problem.

1. Click the drive you want to back up (not the blank drive) and press Command i
2. Look at the area that says Format as in your picture above. Make note of whether it says Mac OS Extended or Mac OS Extended Case Sensitive. If the drive you are backing up is case sensitive then the drive used for Time Machine must be set to case sensitive as well.
3. Launch Disk Utility and follow the directions here. Set the partition type to GUID. I wouldn't worry about the security options.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm not neccesarily wanting to back up a drive.
I'm just looking to save stuff onto the Free Agent. Say I download an album or something, I want to take it from my Mac and put it on Free Agent. Delete from Mac.

Also, I have other older externals that I was looking to backup. Old Western Digitals
So, I can take the stuff off of there, put it on my Mac, but can't put it on Free Agent.

I'm not sure... Sorry, I'm not very tech savy.
The old WD externals, I plug in, I can take stuff off, delete stuff, add new stuff to the, etc. But not the Free Agent.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since there is nothing on the drive - just repartition/format it.

You can use the directions link Sly posted above whether you're going to use the drive for TM backups or not.

Recommend not using case-sensitive unless you require it for some purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Was case sensitive an error? Mac OS Extended (Journaled) the recommended way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.