Should I get an Anti-Virus program for my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have various computers.
I've been using Mac's for a good while now, but I've only really used my machines for work related things like music production & video editing. I don't really require any use of the internet, however, I recently bought myself a personal MacBook Pro, on this particular computer I will indeed be using it for heavy internet use and maybe some sort of editing.

Is there any reason to get an anti-virus software? If so, what program is recommended?

Thank you!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Nothing that will run all the time. You can grab a copy of ClamXav and use it scan files you download..apart from that, use common sense when browsing the Internet, don't click on random links, even enter your password when prompted unless you know WHY it is being prompted..

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your input & advice. It's much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There is NO need for it as there is nothing in the wild that will affect a Mac, and to install a Virus, you need to input your Admin Password so another hint, is if you have no idea why you are putting in your Admin PW when visiting a Web site, DONT do it.
As Raz0r posted dl ClamXav and scan so if there is one in a email, sent from a Windows user, you don't pass it on. Thats the ONLY real reason you would need a AV on a Mac :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you search these forums you'll find quite a few members who experienced no end of problems with most of these programs installed. I suspect you will find a similar pattern in other forums as well.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the details & explanation. You guy's are great!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
On behalf of your fellow forum members you're welcome.

BTW I did not think earlier to ask how complex the editing is that you will be doing. If all you need to do is trim unwanted footage, save/convert the file, or grab a screenshot or two MPEG Streamclip may be less confusing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.