What happened to the iBook?

P

piece of apple

Heh,

Hate me for saying this, but i was a Windows user until around the year 2000, when I first saw what the iBooks looked like. Then I saw the iMac (again, Rev 3s). I was hooked. I couldn't belive how cool they looked. I loved Apple, and still do, because they thought different. I mean, transpaprent, colorfull computer? Who else but them?

The new iBooks's however look just like any other laptop computers. I think Apple shoudl seriously reconsider what many people belived was their strongest thing going for them: to think different. (Still luv the iMac's though, even with the Intel Chip.) :yinyang:

What happened to?
blueberryibook.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
its not arround any more becaues its not quite practicle and its that as good looking as the current iBook.. back then people would buy that because it was a new looking computer ... people would not buy that now because it is not practicle and does not look professional.. i could not see somebody using a computer that looks like that in a class, or presenting a presentation from a transparent colored computer.
just my .02

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
umm... it has been several years since iBooks looked like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it wasnt that big of a hit really AND from my experiences, they were pretty crappy computers always fixing them and stuff at school. so i am sure they yanked them and redesigned them to what they are now.

and what other laptop can you find out there that is all white like the ibook?
-chrsi

OP
P

piece of apple

true

coach_z said:
-chrsi

true say. apple still got it. :headphone

OP
T

TRIANGLE_CHOKE

the ibooks have always been great machines, and regardless of the form factor or design, will remain to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
btw avertec has a couple of all white computers, just nowhere as nice as the ibook.

OP
T

TRIANGLE_CHOKE

11213 said:
btw avertec has a couple of all white computers, just nowhere as nice as the ibook.

i've seen them as well, they had a 12 inch notebook at my local staples store, but it definitely was not iBOOK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i swear that you can define the current ibooks design as 98% sexy (the only 100% sexy mac i think there has been is the TiBooks)

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
coach_z said:
it wasnt that big of a hit really AND from my experiences, they were pretty crappy computers always fixing them and stuff at school. so i am sure they yanked them and redesigned them to what they are now.

-chrsi

Actually, the iBook is probably the worst computer to work on (hardware-wise) on the face of the Earth.

OP
T

TRIANGLE_CHOKE

to_tough_to_die said:
Actually, the iBook is probably the worst computer to work on (hardware-wise) on the face of the Earth.

that couldn't be further from the truth.

the ibook does everything i need flawlessly and runs better than my dad's windoze p4 2.8 ghz dell inspiron machine on all the same tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
TRIANGLE_CHOKE said:
that couldn't be further from the truth.

the ibook does everything i need flawlessly and runs better than my dad's windoze p4 2.8 ghz dell inspiron machine on all the same tasks.

I believe he means hardware wise, hence the hardware wise in quotes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If he means taking it apart to add a HDD or replace say the CDROM drive, yes it's a chore. The hardware itself is fine, just a pain service it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I think the iBook shown in the first thread, is the ugliest thing. I am so glad they got away from the colored clamshell design. I personally would never own one of those, and the only place I would be comfortable pulling one out would be a preschool class.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I very much like the old iBook. I just like the new ones better due to better performance. It was a nice machine in it's time. I would get one to mess with if i had some extra $$$.

OP
R

radarbob

coach_z said:

-chrsi
My experience has been the opposite. 6 yrs w/o any 'return for repair' problems.

And, IMHO it was a HUGE hit. They couldn't make them fast enough. It took 3 months for mine to arrive after I ordered it; and I ordered about 4 months after it was announced.

But I'll admit it wasn't perfect. Even though I've heard several stories about how tough the iBook was - like falling down 3 flights of stairs and it still worked (heard it from the person it happened to), the case was subject to "cosmetic cracks", is the best way to say it. The plastic on the handle was subject to cracking too - even with good care.

Consumers being fickle and the iBook case making it relatively large and heavy, a redesign was inevitable. And yeah, I think making the "icebook" look more mainstream was intentional.... But that hinge! ooohhhh, aaahhhh!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.