Macbook Pro trackpad won't click.

Reaction score
About 3 months ago, my trackpad on my Macbook Pro 2009 lost the ability to click. I could not physically press it down. Then about 1 month ago, it was being very funky and acting erratic, so I took it into the apple store and they told me I needed to replace the trackpad. Rather than paying the $100 for them to do it, I ordered the parts online and replaced it myself. The trackpad is no longer erratic and works great that way, but I am still unable to click. I adjusted the small screw under the trackpad to make it very loose, but it still will not push down. Any suggestions or tips on what I can do to trouble shoot or sold this problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure your battery is not swollen. We have seen this problem when the battery swells preventing the trackpad from clicking (pushing it down).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good one Charlie.:) When I read the OP's post earlier...I was trying to think what could be wrong (especially with a new trackpad). A swollen battery is a definite possibility.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.