time machine / time capsule set up help

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
Morning

My wife has bought me one of the new (2013) 2TB Airport Time Capsule and I'm struggling to set it up and after some help if you can spare me the time.

I'm in the UK, my ISP is BT and I've got BT infinity2 running through the home hub 4. I've got a 2010 I5 iMac. My home hub 4 is in a different room to my mac, however its actually only about 5 metres away through a wall.

I've connected the TC to the HH4 via ethernet, using airport utility it has set up a second wifi network as I couldn't work out how to extend the BT one (which would have been great to extend the 5GHz network to the back of my house)

however my issue is time machine... the point of getting this is to use it primarily as a time machine backup, so with the TC set up as an extension to my HH4 router, i set it away to update

in the last 2 hours it's updated 27MG out of 349GB and says its gonna take 341days to update

what am i doing wrong ?

many many thanks

OP
J

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
396 days now.......

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 12.01.42.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You need to put the Time Capsule into Bridge Mode. You do this via Airport Utility as you have before.

This means it will just become a 'dumb' network hard disk attached to and managed by your Home Hub (the HH will run the wireless network and the DHCP server, issue IP addresses, manage traffic etc).

The alternative is to put the Home Hub 4 into modem-only mode (if it has a built-in fibre modem) and use the TC as the wireless router and let that do the donkey work.

Or if you have a separate Infinity modem. You can do away with HH and connect the modem direct to the Time Capsule.

The issue you have at the moment, I suspect, is one of having to fully functioning routers and completing wireless networks. The traffic from your Mac is making too many hops, getting interference etc etc.

To start with I'd recommend option 1. Connect the TC to the HH, put it in bridge mode, no wi-fi and use the HH to create the wireless network

For info: Airport Extremes, Airport Expresses and Time Capsules can only extend networks created by other Extremes, Expresses or TCs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, many users find it helpful to do their initial backup via a wired connection to the network. After that the backup can proceed wirelessly in a short time since iy is only backing up files that have changed.

OP
J

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to put the Time Capsule into Bridge Mode. You do this via Airport Utility as you have before.

This means it will just become a 'dumb' network hard disk attached to and managed by your Home Hub (the HH will run the wireless network and the DHCP server, issue IP addresses, manage traffic etc)

I'll be honest, I know nothing about networking.. I've looked at the network settings in airport utility and the router mode is in bridge mode ??

The alternative is to put the Home Hub 4 into modem-only mode (if it has a built-in fibre modem) and use the TC as the wireless router and let that do the donkey work.

I'm totally lost now...

Or if you have a separate Infinity modem. You can do away with HH and connect the modem direct to the Time Capsule.

I tried that, following a youtube guides. The video's I found all use a version of airport utility that is different to the version I have, I'm assuming its been updated. and they click manual setup to put the router into PPPoE mode (??) I can't find manual set up on the current version

The issue you have at the moment, I suspect, is one of having to fully functioning routers and completing wireless networks. The traffic from your Mac is making too many hops, getting interference etc etc.

To start with I'd recommend option 1. Connect the TC to the HH, put it in bridge mode, no wi-fi and use the HH to create the wireless network

hmmm... that makes sense but it appears to be in bridge mode ?

For info: Airport Extremes, Airport Expresses and Time Capsules can only extend networks created by other Extremes, Expresses or TCs

ah i see... thanks for your assistance

OP
J

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, many users find it helpful to do their initial backup via a wired connection to the network. After that the backup can proceed wirelessly in a short time since iy is only backing up files that have changed.

hmmm there's an idea... I still need to sort the settings out to make future back ups quicker than snails pace

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Replacing the Home Hub with an Airport Extreme:
Open Airport Utility
1. Select Manual Setup - Internet
2. select "Connect using PPPoE" from the drop down menu
3. change username to [email protected]
4. type a single space as the password (the box can't be left empty
5. ensure connection is set to always On

OP
J

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my version of airport utility is - 6.3.1

I cannot find an option for manual setup ?

OP
J

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've given up.... I found a thread on the apple support site and loads of people have had problem getting TC's to work properly with BT hubs

it's going back and I'll get a G-Tech 4TB external drive for the same price

pah !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For info: In 6.3.1 you just select the extreme in the airport utility window and click edit. That gives you full access to all the manual options.

Good luck with the external

OP
J

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your time Mr Plow

it's appreciated

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And for those looking for additional menus no longer available in the 6.x versions of Airport Utility or just prefer the older version...

Version 5.6 can be downloaded from here and is still working with 10.8.4.
It will live nicely alongside the 6.x version in your Utilities folder.

(You may need the 6.x version for the newer Apple Express, Extreme, and TC - don't know since mine is several years old.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.