HATING iTunes right now (please HELP!)

Reaction score
I have the latest version of iTunes on my MBP, and I have nearly 2,000 songs in my library, ALL of which I can access and play within iTunes. However, I can only copy 889 of those songs to my iPhone.....what the ****???

My entire iTunes library is stored on an external HDD, and iTunes knows where to find it.

All of the songs in my library were either downloaded from the iTunes store (about 300 or so), and the rest were burned from CDs which I own. I have no "pirated" music.

The "On This iPhone" screen says there are 1944 songs on the iPhone, but there are really only 890 songs (I checked under Settings/General/About on the iPhone). iTunes is reporting 6.15GB free on my iPhone, but the iPhone itself is reporting 13.6GB free.

I just want to copy my entire iTunes music library to my iPhone - how can I do this??? Do I have to wipe my phone and re-install everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
In the Music app(on your iPhone) on the Songs page, right at the bottom the a count? which figure does this match with?

OP
jt1968
Reaction score
I waited a few days, then tried again. It seems to have copied all of the music over to the iPhone this time. I didn't do anything differently, so who knows what the initial problem was.

I noticed, though, that album artwork for many albums were not copied over to the iPhone, even though the artwork is present in iTunes. I can live with this, but if anyone knows why this is happening, and how to fix it, I would be happy to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which version of iTunes?
Which version of iOS?
How was the artwork added?

OP
jt1968
Reaction score
Latest iTunes (11.0.4) on a MBP 15" Retina,
Latest iOS (6.1.4) on an iPhone 5,

The missing artwork is from albums for which I had to download a photo of it, and then attach it to each song in the album using the "Get Info" edit menu item within iTunes.

C

chas_m

jt: I haven't tested this, but the fact that you noticed that the album art that didn't carry over was from album YOU added artwork to suggests to me that the method you used only adds the artwork to the iTunes db, not to the actual song file.

Using the "get info" in iTunes, did you drag in the artwork or copy/paste? Or some other method?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drag and drop into get info definitely works ok. Practically did my whole library like that.

I've seen this happen when the database on the phone gets messed up.

Try syncing with music sync unticked. Hard reset the phone (hold sleep and home til it reboots).

Restart you Mac then resync with music sync on

OP
jt1968
Reaction score
jt: I haven't tested this, but the fact that you noticed that the album art that didn't carry over was from album YOU added artwork to suggests to me that the method you used only adds the artwork to the iTunes db, not to the actual song file.

Using the "get info" in iTunes, did you drag in the artwork or copy/paste? Or some other method?

Under the "Artwork" tab, I clicked on "Add". I noticed that if I did that for just 1 song in an album, the photo would be added only to that song, so I did it for every song.

OP
jt1968
Reaction score
Drag and drop into get info definitely works ok. Practically did my whole library like that.

I've seen this happen when the database on the phone gets messed up.

Try syncing with music sync unticked. Hard reset the phone (hold sleep and home til it reboots).

Restart you Mac then resync with music sync on

I will try this and see what happens. Thanks!

[EDIT]: OK, I tried the above idea, but it didn't work - still no artwork for the same music albums :(

C

chas_m

Try this:

1. Select all the songs in the album you want to add artwork to.
2. Get info on them (as a group)
3. Drag in the artwork you want to use

That will add the artwork to all the selected songs in one go (you can change other "common" info like the year of release etc en masse this was as well).

I don't know that that will solve your sync problem for sure, but it will definitely save you time adding artwork!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.