How to find the COM port number on macbook

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using a usb to serial(rs232) converter so to connect to a small controller.

Due to programming reasons I need to find the com port number so to be able to connect to the device. Once I connect the converter on windows I just go to devices and printers and find the com number there.

But I cannot find it on my macbookpro runnning mountain lion 10.8.4.

Can someone please help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Apple Menu (top-left_ - About this Mac etc. Not in front of my Mac at the moment but all the hardware info, com ports, interrupts etc are all there

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi mrplow

thanks for your reply.

Yes I found the usb to serial converter but not recognizing the COM port number.

On windows I find Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM4) for example. but on the mac cannot find it. I found a location ID but there is not written the Comm port number as in windows. Do I need to include this location ID number instead of the Comm Port in the Matlab code to be able to connect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Did the device come with any drivers/software?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any suggestions for my problem pls.

Thanks in advance for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've looked all over but it really depends on the adapter. What make and model is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a look here. Some useful info. But, I'm afraid, no comm port numbers. OSX and Unix just don't enumerate serial ports like that from what I can understand.

There is info on that page that gives you the device name. You may be able to use that in your code

OP
M
Reaction score
Ill try it. Will contact you back later this week becuase I think that this link if helpful.

Thanks again.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi mrplow,

Sorry for replying this late but I was a bit busy with other stuff.

The link you posted helped me a lot in fact OS X does not have COM port numbers I used "/dev/tty.usbserial" in my code in MATLAB and worked fine.

Thanks for your help :)

Reaction score
Help with MATLAB

Hi mrplow,

Sorry for replying this late but I was a bit busy with other stuff.

The link you posted helped me a lot in fact OS X does not have COM port numbers I used "/dev/tty.usbserial" in my code in MATLAB and worked fine.

Thanks for your help :)

Were you able to establish a connection with the board on your Mac? Can you please help me figure out how to refine the function code in MATLAB if you were successful?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Were you able to establish a connection with the board on your Mac? Can you please help me figure out how to refine the function code in MATLAB if you were successful?

Thanks!

You just replied to a 4.5 year old thread. The member in question last visit was 3 years ago. An answer from this member may be slow in coming.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.