So, I think my mbp may have malware? Help me please

Reaction score
So about 20, I was changing my twitter background. While downloading the image from profilerehab.com & saving the changes onto twitter.. My mbp completly went bizzare, it went completly slow & buggy for about a minute. Then my mbp told me twitter was not responding, then it gave me the option to wait for it to respond or quit. I waited for it to respond & wouldnt, so I just exited it out. After that, I reentered twitter. And my mbp has been fine ever since, the reason I ask if it now has malware now is because its never done that before..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sounds more like an internet/website/comms glitch to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You say everything slowed and locked as twitter was saving the change. At this point the image is upload to them, processed by and displayed on the page.

If this upload process is slow or a script on twitters site is slow or buggy your browser will become unresponsive as will anything else using the internet on your machine at that time.

Surely you've used a website that's become unresponsive at some time?

Basically if you weren't prompted for your Mac password at any point in changing your twitter background it'll be fine.

If it happens again during other activities make a note of what you were doing and any messages you get and post back.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Actually, just as I got back on, when I flipped the screen open, my keyboard wasnt blacklitted for about 2 seconds & the screen was black for about 2 seconds aswell, Idk if this means anything, but my Mac has never done this aswell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Which Mac do you have and which version of OSX
2. Check for and install any system software updates
3. Install Onyx (appropriate to your version of OSX and run everything on the automation tab
4. Close all apps fully (so none except Finnder have the little blue indicators beneath them in the dock)
5. Restart your Mac and reset the PRAM/SMC

OP
Z
Reaction score
I'm running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4 , & on the website, I didnt download the picture, but "Saved As" it too my desktop and accidentally double clicked it & it opened it up with preview, I dont know if it could have put malware on my mac through there? And what does Onyx do exactly? And seriously, thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saving an image or anything else from you a network or the internet 'downloads' it. It's just terminology - the process of copying the file from a remote location to your local machine.

If Preview opened it as an image it's very very unlikely any malware came along for the ride. If you'd have been prompted for your Mac password I'd be more concerned.

Onyx is a system maintenance tool. It clears caches, empties logs, checks and fixes permissions, etc. It's well used and recommended on these forums. Primarily it just acts as a front end to run the scripts and functions built into OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.