copy apps form macpro desktop to laptop

Reaction score
im getting a macpro laptop for the wife to take with her on her travels and id like to copy most everything, or everything, from my macpro desktop to the laptop. thing is my desktop can only support osx tiger and the laptop im getting has snow leopard on it. so how will that work out using carbon copy cloner. can i just clone the apps i want to clone. i have a feeling its not really that easy to just clone the apps i want to transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Use Migration Assistant on the new MacBook Pro (NOT macpro laptop) which can be found in Applications>Utilities and copy over what you want. It gives you a choice from System Files, Applications, and some other suggestions, cant quite remember, but yea Migration Assistant on the New MBP will be your best bet.

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
so if i want to copy a program, say mac bluray player to my macbook pro laptop it will give me suggestions on what other items i might need to also transfer to make it work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes. You can check mark what you want to Migrate over and what not too. You will need to have the Macs in Target Disk Mode to do this, but migration Assistant is your best bet. If the MacPro is on a Single HD, your MBP might even pick it up as a Ext HD and you wont need Target Disk Mode.

OP
H
Reaction score
if i just migrated the whole hard drive form my desktop to my laptop how will this affect the fact that my laptop has snow leopard on it and my desktop has tiger. pretty much that is what i want to do, copy everything except leave snow leopard as the operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as it doesnt copy the OS over it should be OK, but there will be Tiger System Settings that wont come over when you do. It should only Migrate what is compatible with the current OS.

C

chas_m

Migration Assistant does not copy over the old OS or anything that won't run on your newer system, so that's not a concern.

OP
H
Reaction score
ok. you see ive never used Migration Assistant before, i have used carbon copy cloner. i just dont want to change the newer system, but want everything thats on my desktop. so that sounds good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.