Intermittent Wi-Fi Trouble

Reaction score
Can someone please help as I see this is an issue that others have had. My Wi-Fi signal has been indicating "looking for networks" and then switching to on and then back and forth about every 10 seconds or so. This has slowed my internet connections substantially. It also take a long time to send email now too when it use to just jet off once the send button was hit. Doesn't matter what size the email is either. I will paste a log of my wi-fi connection to see if anyone can interpret it for me as I have no idea what it means or if I should be concerned. Sure would like my I Mac to work the way it used to as it started this problem about 6 weeks ago and doesn't seem to matter what I do. I have tried a new modem to no avail. I have also deleted the connection and initiated another one and refreshed the settings.I am running Lion 10.7.5 as I have tried the newer version but had too many problems and gliches with it so reverted back to lion rather than mountain lion. I am also running a partition in bootcamp with windows 7 on the partition. All these wi-fi problems started long after i had made the changes so I don't think the partition or windows is the problem. So heres what the log file says:

Tue Jul 9 09:50:54 <kernel> touchup IPv4 Multicast with DSCP <0x08>
Tue Jul 9 09:50:53 <kernel> touchup IPv4 Multicast with DSCP <0x08>
Tue Jul 9 09:50:52 <kernel> touchup IPv4 Multicast with DSCP <0x08>
Tue Jul 9 09:50:40 <kernel> IO80211ScanManager::cachePurge: NOT Rescheduling.
Tue Jul 9 09:50:40 <kernel> IO80211ScanManager::cachePurge: clearEntries[0] Firing!
Tue Jul 9 09:50:14 <kernel> touchup IPv4 Multicast with DSCP <0x08>
Tue Jul 9 09:50:13 <kernel> touchup IPv4 Multicast with DSCP <0x08>
Tue Jul 9 09:50:12 <kernel> touchup IPv4 Multicast with DSCP <0x08>
Tue Jul 9 09:50:10 <kernel> IO80211ScanManager::getScanResult: All scan results returned for pid 135.
Tue Jul 9 09:50:10 <kernel> IO80211ScanManager::scanDone: Scheduling cache purge timer in 30 seconds.
Tue Jul 9 09:50:06 <kernel> IO80211ScanManager::startScan: Initiating scan.
Tue Jul 9 09:50:06 <kernel> IO80211ScanManager::startScan: Broadcast scan request received from pid 135 ().
Tue Jul 9 09:49:35 <kernel> touchup IPv4 Multicast with DSCP <0x08>
Tue Jul 9 09:49:34 <kernel> touchup IPv4 Multicast with DSCP <0x08>
Tue Jul 9 09:49:33 <kernel> touchup IPv4 Multicast with DSCP <0x08>
Tue Jul 9 09:49:07 <airportd[970]> _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “Jim's Network1”. Bailing on auto-join.
Tue Jul 9 09:49:06 <airportd[970]> _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “Jim's Network1”. Bailing on auto-join.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks I will look forward to comments or suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
1. Do you have the same issue in windows?
2. do you have the same results if you connect with an ethernet cable?
3. Do you experience these issues on other wireless networks or just at home?

OP
S
Reaction score
Intermittent Wi-Fi connection

MRPLOW;

Nope just on my mac at home. I can't run an ethernet cable to my modem as it's in the basement and no way to hook it up on the main floor. Signal has always been good as nothing physical/electrical has changed. I used my laptop running windows seven and used a free downloaded software program to analyze the signal. Strength was at about 60% on main floor and no change when standing right beside the modem with the laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Perhaps I didn't phrase that as I intended. Do you have the same issues in bootcamp on you iMac?

While nothing may have changed for you there may be wireless networks nearby that have changed. Try a tool like iStumbler to analyse wifi channels and make sure yours is away from those nearby where possible.

Be interested to know about the mountain lion issues you had and whether you did a clean install to return to Lion

OP
S
Reaction score
Response MRPLOW

I don't have the same problem under windows while running bootcamp that I can tell as I don't use the internet on bootcamp but will try and see what happens. I did do a clean install and as a matter of fact three times as Mountian Lion continued to give me very glitchy problems like while moving the cursor with the mouse it would erase my screen even if I wasn't running a program. Email was very funky in that it would stall continuously, programs wouldn't respond, sleep mode would work occasionally, shutting down took forever just to name a few. I will try the program that you suggested to see what it says.

Thanks so much for your quick response.

OP
S
Reaction score
okay, istumbler says the following:
Source wpa2,
protocol 802.11n,
mode network,
level (3) bars lighted
Channel 2
Signal 37%
Noise 15%
Frequency 2417,
Vendor smc networks
samples 45

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll let member mrplow address the rest of your problems, however, from the iStumbler report your signal to noise ratio is high - which means a weak signal even with the three bars you're getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's also about the graph of your network versus others around. If you're on channel 2 where are the others in the area? you need to be as far from them as possible.

I run Mountain Lion on three differently aged machines, including a 2011 iMac. Never seen those results with Mountain Lion. But OK, Lion it is. Though I'd keep an eye on your hard disk health.

Let me know about your network connectivity in Bootcamp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.