AirPort Express/Extreme - reduce range?

Reaction score
Can both the Express and the Extreme's settings be changed to reduce the signal strength to limit the range? I -believe- that Extreme's can be (found the odd reference to it), but not sure about the Express...

Thanks!

T

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is an archived article about using Airport Utility to control the AEBS' transmission power and thus reduce the range. However, I don't believe the newest version of Airport Utility has this functionality anymore..

People usually want to boost the range and signal strength..why are you trying to reduce it? If you are worried about other people jumping onto the network, ensure to use a strong WPA2 password and you should be OK..

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks - I read that article but wasn't sure if it was specific to the Extreme or would include the Express as well.

Why reduce? ... I can't tell all my secrets :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My guess would be that it would work with either the Extreme or Express..however since the newer versions of Airport Utility has less functionality than the older ones, it's a moot point really...

From the looks of it though, the only way to mess with the transmission power and all that is through Airport Utility..so maybe you can try grabbing an older version and see if that works to play with this setting..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.