hows the s9000

C

Clandestine

so im planning on getting a great camera, and i was looking at the s9000. Is this is good camera? would you recommend any others? my price limit is $700 USD

-Devyn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
They're pretty much the same camera, one is for the Euro market (9500), while the 9000 is for North America.

OP
D

DigitalN.

700 USD could buy you a D50 kit, no? that is a better option than the 9000 for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$700 will get you a Nikon D50, sure.

But it will only come with a 28-80mm lens, while the Fuji comes with 28-300mm stock.
The S9000 has a greater variance in the aperture setting (3.3-5.6 for the Nikon's stock lens, 2.8-4.9 for the Fuji).
The S9000 has a viewable pixel count of 9.1 million, the Nikon has 6 million.

The Nikon relies heavily on it's glass to be a good camera, so if you were to get a Nikon D50, it would take another $500 or so to get a lens decent enough to compete with the Fuji.

OP
D

DigitalN.

first thing I have to say, megapixels mean nothing. a 4MP D1H is going to blow away anything a S9000 has to offer. secondly, just because it is 28-80 stock, there is the 1.5x multiplyer. and last, the ability to go up to ISO 1600 without it looking like the ISO 400 on the S9000 is a definate good thing if you shoot low light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't say megapixels mean nothing. How do you think that 2.6Mp D1H (I've never seen a 4Mp D1H, only a 5.3) will look once it's blown up to 48x24? I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the final image. In general, the D1H definitely would blow away the S9000.

I totally agree with your statement about the ISO, however. Fuji's sensor is definitely not comparable with Nikon's. I try to keep the ISO on 80 with my camera. I've taken a few pictures in low light with ISO 1600 and they do look pretty noisy.

Anyways, to answer the original question, yes the Fuji S9000 is a great camera. It's very easy to use and the money that you save on it (given your $700 limit) you could buy a case and a 2GB CompactFlash card.

I would definitely heed DigitalN.'s advice and look at the Nikon D50, however. It wasn't right for me at purchase time, but it's a great camera. A little more professional oriented, mind you, but a great camera.

OP
D

DigitalN.

surfwax95 said:
I wouldn't say megapixels mean nothing. How do you think that 2.6Mp D1H (I've never seen a 4Mp D1H, only a 5.3) will look once it's blown up to 48x24? I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the final image. In general, the D1H definitely would blow away the S9000.

I totally agree with your statement about the ISO, however. Fuji's sensor is definitely not comparable with Nikon's. I try to keep the ISO on 80 with my camera. I've taken a few pictures in low light with ISO 1600 and they do look pretty noisy.

Anyways, to answer the original question, yes the Fuji S9000 is a great camera. It's very easy to use and the money that you save on it (given your $700 limit) you could buy a case and a 2GB CompactFlash card.

I would definitely heed DigitalN.'s advice and look at the Nikon D50, however. It wasn't right for me at purchase time, but it's a great camera. A little more professional oriented, mind you, but a great camera.
I had the D2H in my mind when I was thinking about that, sorry.

but again, what consumer is going to blow up to a 48x24?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.