Mouse Click Freeze

Reaction score
I have been noticing something recently on my iMac (circa 2007) and my Macbook Air (2013). Both are running OS X 10.8.4. When the computer goes to sleep and I then wake it up, I am finding that my mouse clicks no longer work. On my iMac, I have discovered that if I push the power button and push it again, I am able to make things work correctly, When I restart the computer, I can't login until I put it asleep and wake it up again.

I thought this was a problem with my iMac reaching end of life but then I noticed the same thing happening on my Macbook Air.

My keyboard seems to still work as I can Command-Tab shift between open apps but my mouse and my key pad will only move the cursor and have no effect on the on traditional "Mouse-down" command.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have been noticing something recently on my iMac (circa 2007) and my Macbook Air (2013). Both are running OS X 10.8.4. When the computer goes to sleep and I then wake it up, I am finding that my mouse clicks no longer work. On my iMac, I have discovered that if I push the power button and push it again, I am able to make things work correctly, When I restart the computer, I can't login until I put it asleep and wake it up again.

I thought this was a problem with my iMac reaching end of life but then I noticed the same thing happening on my Macbook Air.

My keyboard seems to still work as I can Command-Tab shift between open apps but my mouse and my key pad will only move the cursor and have no effect on the on traditional "Mouse-down" command.

Wait... your keypad moves the cursor? That's not even normal behavior. Are you using any 3rd party mouse drivers/utilities? Or have you enabled the "Mouse Keys" feature from the Accessibility preferences? If so, and you don't need that feature, try turning it off.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have been noticing something recently on my iMac (circa 2007) and my Macbook Air (2013). Both are running OS X 10.8.4.

I know that the "sort of" conclusion that you are suggesting is that because you have two computers with the same problem...that the problem must be something OS related or hardware related.

But what must also be considered is that since both of these computers are owned and used by you...that other things could be the source of the issues. Such as:

- "unusual" habits you may have using your input devices (which I cannot even begin to guess at).
- 3rd party software installed on the computer

Honestly...these sorts of things can happen to folks. But it's pretty unusual (statistically) for a person to own both a 2007 iMac & a 2013 MacBook Air...and have the same issues on both of them at the same time. Especially when we do not hear of this sort of thing happening with other folks.

What you can do to test things is:

- use a different (known working) input device with your iMac (to see if the problem persists)
- boot your iMac and/or your MacBook Air from an external HD with ONLY a fresh install of the OS...and see if the problem persists
- do a PRAM reset
About NVRAM and PRAM
- do an SMC reset
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

HTH,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.