Which Mac for Logic pro 9

Reaction score
Hello guys!!

As previously discussed, I have a 2012 13" MBP i7 with a 256GB SSD/16GB, running Logic Pro 9.

My best friend (and Guitar Player in my Band) wants to buy a new Mac and Logic Pro 9 for his/our Studio (at his home).

Even though he has admitted he may never do so, he's got in his head "What if i want to record, all at the same time, a Drummer (with six mics), a Bass Player, a Keyboard (in Stereo), a Guitar (him) and a scratch Vocal/".

So this leads to my question as to what Mac to buy.

Please note that he would love to have a MBP, but if a MBP will not work for his above "fantasy" scenario, he doesn't mind going with a Desktop, as he can save a few bucks.

And please note as well, I'm not going to sell him my MBP, as I don't think the Hard Drive is large enough, I got a great deal on it, AND,
I don't like him THAT much :Mischievous:

So we've narrowed it do to:

1) 2012 13" MBP i5 2.5GHz/8GB/500GB HD.
2) 2012 21.5" iMac i5 2.7 Quad-core/8GB/1TB HD.
3) 2011 15.4" MBP i7 2.3GHz Quad-core/8GB/750GB HD

So which one should he go with?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go with 1 or 3. Stay away from the 2012 21.5" iMac. It's a nice looking machine and it's fast, but a nightmare to work on and can not be upgraded. Also, take a look at the latest Mac Mini models. They're nice machines for the price and since he intends to use it at home, it would be ideal. Add a monitor and keyboard and you're in business.

OP
D
Reaction score
Which Mac Mini would you suggest?

Also, will all the listed computer options let him record 11 tracks at one time?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which Mac Mini would you suggest?

The more expensive model (core i7) with the 1 TB hard drive. It's stock with 4 GB of memory but I would bring that up to the max, 16 GB. But don't buy the memory from Apple. After market memory is less expensive.

Also, will all the listed computer options let him record 11 tracks at one time?

Someone else will have to answer that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.