Seeking Mass E-mail Solution for Our Group

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
Hi,

I am involved with a group of hobbyists that are forming our own online group. We are searching a solution to allow us all to contact one another. I have an idea of something that I think would be ideal, but I'm unsure of how to implement it. I'll describe it and hopefully someone out there could point me in the right direction.

First, I would set up a central email address. An example would be [email protected].

Anybody who sent an email to that address, would have that email automatically forwarded to every member of the group. The same would occur if a user replied to one of the emails. This could facilitate many conversations between a small group of people.

I am hoping a solution may exist that is fairly simple and would allow us to get started with a simple hotmail or gmail account.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Mice idea. My thought was to have one Mac setup to periodically check the account. A mail rule would look for any e-mail sent to the account and use a rule to send the message to the group. The group is created within the Contact program and the name of that group

Using the OP's example rule that looks something like this should work:

If To is equal to [email protected]
Perform the following actions:
Forward message to Name of group from Contacts

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not set up [email protected] so that everyone can log into said email. Then if someone replys to said email, it is sent to everyone else in that group, use the bc cc within the email, and have everynone set up as a group to recieve it.
Read more about bc and Cc here Sending an Email to Multiple Recipients - Cc: and Bcc: - About Email

HTH

Thanks, and it's a good idea. But I can see issues straight away.

First, the membership of this group, as with most hobbyist groups, isn't entirely stable. I mean it's great for the most part, but some people come and go, and others cause problems. It would take just one bad egg to destroy mail history, send unwanted emails out, or even change the password locking the rest of us out.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mice idea. My thought was to have one Mac setup to periodically check the account. A mail rule would look for any e-mail sent to the account and use a rule to send the message to the group. The group is created within the Contact program and the name of that group

Using the OP's example rule that looks something like this should work:

If To is equal to [email protected]
Perform the following actions:
Forward message to Name of group from Contacts

This seems like it's exactly what I might be looking for. I'm not familiar really with mail rules. I will have to look into that!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This seems like it's exactly what I might be looking for. I'm not familiar really with mail rules. I will have to look into that!

I haven't tried that specific rule in the real world but have sent mails to groups manually in a similar fashion. One thing that might or might not be an issue for you. At one time some service providers set limits on how many people you could send messages to at one time.

If it a large group mail list software would probably be a better option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.