Can my ex read my iMessages?

Reaction score
Scenario: I have an iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro. I use iMessages a lot while working. My estranged wife (who lives in another country) has an iPhone and just received an iPad from her aunt.

Problem: We use the same Apple ID username and password. That way, the music library is shared and the apps for my son that was bought using my username could be accessed. I do not want to stop giving her access to the user and pw.

Question: If she has iMessage on that new iPad, can she read the messages i text with my iPhone that I send back and forth between my friends. There are some things I text my friends about my strained relationship with my wife that I would not prefer her to read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The answer isnt probably (sorry Harry ;) ) the answer is YES she can. All she needs to do is set up the iPad with your/her Apple ID and bam she has access to all your messages, i dare say email, PhotoStream and anything that is synced via iCloud.
With a estranged wife, i thought this would be the first thing that you would of done, i.e.: getting your own Apple ID, and this makes it hard, if you have downloaded a heap of Apps, and Music, Movies and TV Shows, as well as books.
If this goes through the court in a pending Divorce, make sure that the Apple ID is bought up because it is potentially worth hundred, if not 1000's of $ . . . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do not want to stop giving her access to the user and pw.

Then do as you were advised; that is to get a different Apple ID and password for yourself.

There are some things I text my friends about my strained relationship with my wife that I would not prefer her to read.

Anyone who has any experience in doing marriage counseling will advise you to keep whatever goes on between you and your estranged wife to yourself. Or, only between you and her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Anyone who has any experience in doing marriage counseling will advise you to keep whatever goes on between you and your estranged wife to yourself. Or, only between you and her.

Well said Charlie. I soon leant who my friends were, when i had a private conversation with a good friend (Now not so much) and when i got custody of my son, and all was honky dory, and i was on a FB, txting relationship with my ex, solely for my son, this friend commented on FB in quite a harsh way, towards my ex, that she then read and caused quite a stir amongst the pigeons. I asked said friend to stop because what i said i said in confidence, then they backed up on their hind legs and had a swipe at me, telling me i was watching your back.
Doesnt work like that i said, now you have put that relationship in jeopardy and she can be very vindictive . . . Now i just dont FB anymore

Good luck to the OP and yes, get your own Apple ID or you will or your ex will see things that you/she shouldn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well the answer is still probably. Maybe your estranged wife will not bother. But then again........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.