Problem with my Mac

Reaction score
I own a Macbook Air and it's currently having problems. After installing a routine software update, my Mac crashed. It is now stuck on the Apple loading screen with the Apple that starts on on Macs. Help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to provide us with some more info:

Year and model MacBook Air?

Version of OS X it's running?

Which software update did you download and did you make a backup prior to installing the update, or any backup?

OP
E
Reaction score
It is the mid 2011 11 inch model. It is running OS X Lion. The software update that was downloaded was the standard Software Update that appears in the toolbar. I often installed the update. I didn't make a backup before the update.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back the specs for your MacBook Air.

Normally, software updates are benign and do not cause problems. It may have been coincidental with another problem your MBA was having. Anyway, let's try this:

Boot your MacBook Air to its recovery partition. Reboot and hold down the command plus the r key. The machine should boot to the recovery partition. It may take a few minutes to do so. Once in recovery, choose utilities, and then select Disk Utility. Run verify and repair for the hard drive. Let us know the results.

OP
E
Reaction score
I was told that my Macintosh HD could not be repaired but it reads another disk called Apple SSD TS064C Media.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your MacBook Air has an SSD divided into three parts: A small EFI partition, the main Macintosh HD partition, and the partition you booted to called the recovery partition. Disk Utility is telling you that your Macintosh partition can not be repaired. All your data is on the Macintosh partition.

but it reads another disk called Apple SSD TS064C Media.

That's the SSD which is in your MacBook Air. See above for how it's divided.

OP
E
Reaction score
So am I unable to fix my Mac?
If not, thank you for all your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't say you couldn't fix it, however, it will probably mean replacing the defective SSD. That's why it's very important to make backups. Since your machine is a 2011 model, did you buy extended Apple Care? If you have Apple Care, Apple will replace the SSD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.