Remote into a Windows 8 machine from iMac running 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)

Reaction score
Hi I have an iMac that I use regularly and an old PC running Window 8 that I use occasionally. I'm trying to avoid purchasing another Windows license and using bootcamp on the iMac. The windows machine is in a closet with no monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to it, I'd like to remote into it from the mac once in a while.

I've tried Microsoft RDC but looks like it'll not work with Mountain Lion/Windows 8. Does anyone else do this? How do I remote into a Win 8 machine from Mountain Lion?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Hi I have an iMac that I use regularly and an old PC running Window 8 that I use occasionally. I'm trying to avoid purchasing another Windows license and using bootcamp on the iMac. The windows machine is in a closet with no monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to it, I'd like to remote into it from the mac once in a while.

I've tried Microsoft RDC but looks like it'll not work with Mountain Lion/Windows 8. Does anyone else do this? How do I remote into a Win 8 machine from Mountain Lion?

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried CoRD? I gave up on Microsoft RDP long ago. I use this daily with great results.

OP
K
Reaction score
Have you tried CoRD? I gave up on Microsoft RDP long ago. I use this daily with great results.

Can I power on the PC (that has no keyboard/mouse/monitor) on it and use CoRD on the iMac to log in or do I have to be logged into the windows machine to use CoRD?

Does CoRD work with Mountain Lion -> Windows 8?

Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Can I power on the PC (that has no keyboard/mouse/monitor) on it and use CoRD on the iMac to log in or do I have to be logged into the windows machine to use CoRD?

Does CoRD work with Mountain Lion -> Windows 8?

Thanks for your reply.

The machine will boot to a login screen, so no KVM is necessary. You will need the machine IP or hostname to connect.

Yes, it works on ML

OP
K
Reaction score
The machine will boot to a login screen, so no KVM is necessary. You will need the machine IP or hostname to connect.

Yes, it works on ML

I just got home and tested CoRD and it works great. One question though, how can I specify a HostName instead of an IP Address? When I put the machine name instead of the IP it is not able to resolve the host.

Thanks!

OP
K
Reaction score
I just got home and tested CoRD and it works great. One question though, how can I specify a HostName instead of an IP Address? When I put the machine name instead of the IP it is not able to resolve the host.

Thanks!

Still not able to figure out how to use the Computer Name in CoRD and have it figure out the IP Address. As a work around, I created a static DHCP reservation for my windows machine so its IP address never changes. Followed this article to get this done...
How to Configure a Static DHCP Reservation with Airport Extreme - The Mac Observer

To get the mac address of the windows machine I followed this...
https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=27309

CoRD works great, thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I personally use LogMeIn.com which you install the driver/app onto the windows machine and then you can log in from anywhere that has a reliable fast internet connection from your mac. I use it on my mac to control my parents windows 7 laptops when they need help fixing something. It's really easy. All you do is create a logmein.com account (which is free) and the basic LogMeIn Basic is free and really all you need for basic remote control of a computer. I love using it as it gives me the ability to do what I need to do and get out of there in a timely fashion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.