Voice Memos with new ISP won't email

Reaction score
iOS 6 on iPhone 4. I have used the built in app "Voice Memos" for a couple of years to record and send voice memos via email. Always worked fine. My company changed Internet web hosting companies and now the email, with the Voice Memo attachment, sits in my Outbox. Then I have to open it in the Outbox and re-send. When it arrives the MP4 attachment is not there. That's with the new email account. I also have a Hotmail account on the iPhone and Voice Memos works fine on that. I went round and round with the new ISP tech support and they are blaming it on the iPhone or iOS. They say I can send up to a 50 MB attachment and these short recordings are usually only 50 KB. I told them it works with the Hotmail account. Anyone have a solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I went round and round with the new ISP tech support and they are blaming it on the iPhone or iOS. They say I can send up to a 50 MB attachment and these short recordings are usually only 50 KB. I told them it works with the Hotmail account. Anyone have a solution?

Typical ISP response when they don't understand what the problem is. If it works OK with Hotmail, then obviously your new ISP is somehow suppressing the voice memos even though they say you can attach up to 50 MB. Sorry, I don't know of a solution except to use another ISP. Of course that may not be possible since your company chose the current ISP. One thing you can try is to talk to someone above the normal tech support that your ISP provides. And find someone who understands iOS.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. If it works with the Hotmail account on the iPhone it should work with any and all email accounts of the iPhone. They just didn't know so they blew me off and blamed it on the device. And I told them it worked with my old ISP for years. I thought it may be some security setting on the iPhone but I don't see any setting as such. One thing I noticed is that my new ISP uses SSL and my old provider did not. And I don't think Hotmail uses SSL. In fact there is no setting for SSL in Hotmail on iPhone. Hmmm?

OP
B
Reaction score
So I deleted the email account from the iPhone. Then re-created it as a new account and now the voice recording apps work with this email account. I guess, when in doubt, delete and re-install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.