Uninstall third party USB driver, macbook Air 10.8.3

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting to Mac Forum.

I'm trying to uninstall a 3rd party USB driver that I had installed to use my ethernet adapter, that's the short version.

Here's the whole story, sorry if this is slightly un-techie, I'm a new mac user. I have a macbook air 10.8.3. I'm studying in the Netherlands, and can only access the internet in my room using an ethernet cable. Bought an adapter and followed the directions exactly, which included software to downloaded. (I used the directions for Mac). Company: ICIDU. The drivers installed were called AX88772/A USB CDC Drivers (I can see them in my software installation list, but no where else). The adapter didn't work and now NO ethernet adapters will work, not even the apple brand adapter. I can't find a way to uninstall these drivers (not in the finder and I can't drag them into the trash), because I was told that was the problem. Help? I took it to a computer store up here and they told me I'd have to do a system reboot, which I do NOT want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Does it have an uninstaller on the supplied disk?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First - if you've done any dragging to the trash of any portion of it - would redownload it, reinstall it and then use it's own uninstaller. Actually, would do that no matter what - first.

Second, can't find the uninstaller in the download package (nor after you have reinstalled it), would email the company and request uninstall instructions.

Third - since the current version of ML is 10.8.4, you could run Software Update and update your computer to see if that fixes it.

Fourth - Only after the above, you could look in System/Library/Extensions - should be the location of any kext it installed (but not necessarily) - BEWARE of touching/changing/removing anything you do not know "for sure" what it is. You could totally screw the functioning of your machine in there.

PS. System reboot = shut down and restart your computer.

OP
L
Reaction score
I've emailed the company, waiting for word back. I've deleted the kext, but haven't checked to see if that worked.

Oh, by system reboot they meant restore everything to factory settings. Sorry, I used the wrong term.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A lot of brick and mortar stores are going to go the system restore route - because the time it takes to investigate something like this and what they would have to charge you for doing it - having no idea of how long it will take up front - their customers would scream bloody murder. ;)

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm hoping to find a cheap (or free) solution! I'll try to reinstall and see if there's any change.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've deleted the kext, but haven't checked to see if that worked.

If you deleted the correct kext, the problem should be resolved. I'm betting that the software didn't install a driver per se but installed it via the kext. That's the way most work but since it appears to have been an odd ball, who knows? Why don't you test it before doing any more trouble shooting?

OP
L
Reaction score
Actually, I had a nagging feeling that it wasn't my mac at all but something in the room. I asked my friend to bring in her laptop and try with the ethernet cable and lo and behold it didn't work for her now either. Changed out the cable and BOOM, internet. I thought I had tried that first, but apparently I didn't try hard enough. Thanks for all the advice, will definitely use this forum again if needed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. Sometimes it's the simple things that go wrong. Glad you resolved it and don't be a stranger here. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.