full sized ipad or mini??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
I am planning on replacing my iPad 1 with a later model. I have a nook color and I have found reading books easier with a 9" tablet( I have pretty much stopped using the nook to read since I got my (used) iPad last year. An apple associate suggested a mini because it is more portable (true) but I like the size of the 9" tablet to surf, and read (and play games) with the larger tablet. I didn't notice the difference in my iPad 1 and newer models till I tried to access some new game apps that were only available with IOS 6 and i was told the IOS 7 would be more interesting. Now, I'm trying to decide between what i really need and what I desire.
Anybody with both sizes have a preference? I probably will go with a full size tablet but thought I would field suggestions. I just get tired if zooming my nook when I am on the web and i can't see a mini being any different in that respect. the apple associate suggested 16 g but I have almost 17 worth of memory used on my iPad 1 64G( 64 g more than enough now that I use the cloud for storing pictures and music) so i would go with 32 g.
Thanks for any feedback. Just looking for anybody that has a mini and loves it more than a full size tablet and why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have a 3, my kids have minis. If I was looking for something to toss into a bag, I'd go mini. That said, I really do like the bigger screen... Even with the slightly added weight. Not sure if that makes sense, or not...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" ret w/ Dual Cinema Displays and iMac
I have a Nexus 7 and an ASUS infinity 10". (Ok, don't ban me) I rarely ever use the 10" and will likely get rid of it. I got my son the Mini. He uses it mostly for games. I've looked at it and it is good for reading. I really like the smaller screen size. The Nexus can fir in the pocket of casual dress pants in a pinch if needed. Not sure the slightly wider Mini can do that or not.

IMHO the smaller size has a good number of advantages. When the next mini is out in Oct (hopefully) I may switch over to it.
-Mike

C

chas_m

Larsanher -- don't hijack this thread. Start a new one describing IN DETAIL (ie a lot more detail than you mentioned above) what your problem is.

dwhygienist: I think the lighter-weight current iPads (compared to the original you have) will suit you fine, but be aware that there's a super-duper good chance new models are coming out this fall. Just FYI.

The mini is fabulously thin and light -- which everyone hopes the next full-size iPad will be as well -- but is otherwise nearly identical to the full-size one in most other respects. So it really comes down to what your eyeballs prefer. Mine, since they are getting weaker, prefer the larger iPad (even though I want one of the minis!).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
thanks for the feedback- I think, asstated, mine eyes need the larger size. I am going to wait a few months just in case an iPad 5 version comes out since the "2" seems to be the next to be phased out( no more 30 pin connector) just lightening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Definitely wait to see the full dimensions on the upcoming iPad. the one thing I keep hearing is the bezel around the outside will be much smaller and the iPad will be thinner, making the full-sized (I have the 3 and love it) iPad lighter.

I will always have the full sized iPad. Love the screen size.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely wait to see the full dimensions on the upcoming iPad. the one thing I keep hearing is the bezel around the outside will be much smaller and the iPad will be thinner, making the full-sized (I have the 3 and love it) iPad lighter.

I will always have the full sized iPad. Love the screen size.

Any idea when the next model will be out? holiday time again?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have had both iPad 2 and the original iPad, and now have a 32GB iPad Mini. Also, my eyes aren't the best either.

My opinions

1) For general reading the Mini is better. Lighter and more comfortable form-factor out weigh the slight decrease in screen size

2) Magazines and photo viewing, the regular iPad is better. I'm a Photogaphy enthusiast so the latter is very important to me

My own decision is to keep my Mini as a reader and pick up an iPad 5 this fall for the rest

C

chas_m

Any idea when the next model will be out? holiday time again?

Nobody knows for sure, but I think its a safe bet that by late fall there will be a new model out. Apple did killer business with the iPad and the holiday season last year (where the newest full- and mini-sized ones were announced in early October), so I'm guessing around the same time again this year.

But again, this is just a guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.