• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple rumored to launch fifth-gen iPad in Sept., new iPad mini to follow

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Interesting. Might be time to put my 3rd generation iPad up for sale before it decreases in value when the new ones are released. $$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hmmmm Well this is going to cause me a dilemma then isnt it. I LOVE my iPad Mini ALOT, but if they can make the new iPad, thinner and lighter, then im sitting on the wall at the moment. I bought the iPad Mini because i couldnt stand the weight and the thickness of the iPad. I couldnt use it, read or hold it in a comfortable way that i would of forked out my hard earned for one, hence the purchase if the iPad Mini.
For me, i can hold it in a reading position quite comfortably, i can 2 thumb type with a full keyboard, and even easier with the split keyboard and i love reading on it, albeit i still have to zoom a page to a article, but that is a minor nuisance for me, BUT if they can make the next Gen iPad, thinner, lighter, better Battery, and thinner bezel, then, then, then, then . . . . . . Arggggghhhhh i dont know. I need a push either way i think, and if that comes down to if they are released separately, i think the 5th Gen iPad might just win out.

::Double Face Palm::

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if the new iPad Mini will be lighter and thinner (maybe) but it's very likely it will have a retina screen. As for me, instead of an iPad Mini, I would rather have the new iPhone when it comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I read a article about iPad Mini and Retina that they maybe wouldn't do it this time due to size consrtaints and battery usage that the Retina needs, and how its power hungry and they cant het a good enough small battery to satisfy the Retina ???
Im not wanting that smaller as its perfect size, i just want i thinner lighter by 25% iPad then i could go that way.
I have iP5 so happy at the moment there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm ready for a new iPad. My 1st gen is not able to keep up with the simplest stuff anymore. A lot of apps I use are too much for it to handle. I could strip everything away and have only a few essentials, but then it's not the tool we purchased it to be. So yeah, I've been patient for 3 yrs and now it's time to upgrade. :)

Reaction score
I have the IPAD 2 and it is still good enough for me. I will probably wait until the 6th generation to upgrade.

Reaction score
I just got an iPad mini. I'll put money down as a bet that the next version will be faster, might have Retina, thinner/lighter, better camera...even though the current camera is very good. (It just lacks flash, but WHY would you need flash on a tablet camera anyway?)

(On a side note...I'm on the fence about a new(er) iPhone...my iP4, which is only about 9 months old, but dates back to what...2010? And it only has 8 GB of storage...I want to NOT own an iPod touch just for my music and entertainment (gaming) apps.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
I too have a first gen iPad 64 g. I was planning on getting a newer iPad and am undecided on full or mini- I will wait till the new ones come out and compare. I don't mind holding the iPad to read my books with the case I have that can prop it up- actually prefer it to my nook color now. I can wait a few months to decide . You know the timing is for holiday shopping.
My mom has a mini( she was given it last year- never uses it) I will play with it next time I visit her

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My mom has a mini( she was given it last year- never uses it) I will play with it next time I visit her

Yea give it a good working over. Mainly get into something where you need to type a lot. This is why i love the iPad Mini because i can 2 thumb type without missing a beat and nearly as quick as i am on the normal qwerty. The split keyboard take some getting use to, mainly knowing which side the t,g,v, and y,h,b everything is on. And << is the line, and its really noticeable to me as to which side i use the space bar and thats the right. The split screen has helped me in actually typing on the MBP keyboard with the right fingers.
Games are easier IMO because of where the thumb controls are on some, but you will be surprised and how magically, wonderful the iPad Mini is :)
I got White too and looks, looks,.........Looks ................ You know what i mean when you see it ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I am very happy with my iPad Mini, which means I rarely use the iPad1 now.

Not sure I would bother to buy a new Mini - even if it had Retina Display.

Unless of course the iOS updates eventually force this :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am very happy with my iPad4 and iPhone 5 but you never know what they will bring out, so far I doubt I will upgrade but I have said that before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Mac Mini
Figured they would need to introduce a new iPad with 802.11AC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.