Mac G5 dual desktop wont startup...

Reaction score
Dear Mac friends,

This problem happened months ago, but after a few days mysteriously corrected itself.

However, this time, the machine will not start up in any mode, I've tried them all. It gets a few seconds into startup and then hangs / freezes with loads of text across the screen.

The only thing I can do at this point is target mode, which leads me to suspect this to be a hardware problem of some kid (of course I already re-installed the OS software which was the last startup from disk that I have been able to do).

Does anyone have any experience with this, or knowledge of a repair possibility? Can I swap out the motherboard processor on this model?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Brian Knox McGugan
McGoog,com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Disconnect all USB devices except for the keyboard and mouse and try again

It wont be the motherboard, it would not start at all in that case

The text across the screen is called a kernal panic, when the OS basically hangs totally

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Had a similar problem with my G5 right before Leopard came out. Installing Leopard fixed the problem. Based on that experience I have a few questions:

1. What OS are you using?
2. What happened when you rebooted after the OS install? Did things not work? Stop working after some soft are installed?
3. Are you able to boot in single user mode (Command S) and use fsck -fy to test the hard drive? If so,what were the results?
4. Have you added any hardware (memory etc recently)?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi there

THank you kindly for your help.

Mac OS X Leopard10.5
After the OS re-install, I was back to the kernel panic, and freeze ups every time
Tried Single User mode same thing
Only hardware added is the Steinburg CI1 USB audio interface (presently disconnected),
otherwise nothing added at all.

Today, as I tried to startup, there was no longer the kernel panic message at all, the onscreen busy circle just spins for a bit and then the whole thing shuts down again after 45 seconds... I even disconnected the keyboard and speakers for now. And my further attempts to restart lead again to the Kernel panic messages again and the fans revving from slow to increasingly 747-like velocities!

The only thing I am able to do is Target Disk mode (which I am considering using in order to retrieve and backup my files)

I'll update y'all if I experience any changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in the Leopard DVD and see if you can boot from that, and if so leave the Installer and go into Utilities > Disk utility > Repair Disk and advise what is reported. Hard drive may well be on its last legs, or dead.

C

chas_m

Dear heavens, you don't have a backup?? Forget about fixing the issue for a while and take care of that while you still can. Then you can go back to trying to find an answer. Backup first!

Reaction score
Hi there

THank you kindly for your help.

Mac OS X Leopard10.5
After the OS re-install, I was back to the kernel panic, and freeze ups every time
Tried Single User mode same thing
Only hardware added is the Steinburg CI1 USB audio interface (presently disconnected),
otherwise nothing added at all.

Today, as I tried to startup, there was no longer the kernel panic message at all, the onscreen busy circle just spins for a bit and then the whole thing shuts down again after 45 seconds... I even disconnected the keyboard and speakers for now. And my further attempts to restart lead again to the Kernel panic messages again and the fans revving from slow to increasingly 747-like velocities!

The only thing I am able to do is Target Disk mode (which I am considering using in order to retrieve and backup my files)

I'll update y'all if I experience any changes.

What LED's are lit up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I had this happen once, could reinstall then still do the same thing, for me it was the backup battery inside the system. Open the system up and pop the backup battery out and throw it on a multimeter and compare the actual voltage to the original voltage on the label I believe it was 3v but not sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.